6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2010 8:34 PM by Bill Robinson

file server and repeater

Abid Khemiss

File server management:

For the remote site, we are planning to have the binary as local as possible.

One of the key obstruction we have here from the remote site for the ARM piece

is that they do not want there package send to the central file server and come back to there local repeater, using the WAN.

I believe that you can point the binaries from a different location when you are creating a BL Package.

The condition is that server has a BL agent there?

Could you confirm that it is not necessary to use the file server in that scenario?

Thanks

Abid

• 1. Re: file server and repeater
          Abid Khemiss

Sorry I repeat nyself my keyboard is playing with me (-;

File server management:

For the remote site, we are planning to have the binary as local as possible.

One of the key question we have here from the remote site owner for the ARM piece is that they do not want there package send to the central file server and come back to there local repeater, using the WAN.

I believe that you can point the binaries from a different location when you are creating a BL Package. The condition is that server has a BL agent

Could you confirm that it is not necessary to use the file server in that scenario?

Thanks

Abid

• 2. Re: file server and repeater
            Bill Robinson

You can do this w/ every depot object (msi, custom software, rpm, etc) except the blpackage.  It's the 'network deploy' which pulls the software from a server that has the agent installed or will mount a smb or nfs share during the deploy.

• 3. Re: file server and repeater
              Abid Khemiss

Bill,

So I understand, they use the agent or we can use mount nfs or share during the deploy.

So even if nfs is not allowed, It will work as long as an agent is installed.

In our remote site, we just need to have a repeater to use as a local binaries repository.

in this case, would you advise for a synchronisation job with the file server?

Thanks again

Abid

• 4. Re: file server and repeater
                Bill Robinson

If the agent installed on the remote file share then the network deploy can function.  I don't know that you can sync the repeater w/ the file server.

• 5. Re: file server and repeater
                  Abid Khemiss

Thanks for this.

On the sync side, I was thinling more to copy back binaries stored into the local repeater to the central file server.

Do you see any benefits by doing it? the only one I see is backup.

Rgds,

Abid

• 6. Re: file server and repeater
                    Bill Robinson

Why would you need to copy the files to the bladelogic file server?  The point of the network deploy is to leave the binaries close to the target systems.