8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2010 5:16 PM by Bill Robinson

Unable to start Application server

Girish Tapare

Hi,

I have installed BladeLogic 7.6, then it was working fine. But due to some considaration I put my machine to some another domain and now my Application service is not starting, it gives me following error

"The BladeLogic Application Server serviece on local computer started and then stopped. SOme services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the performance logs and alerts service "

Thanks in Advance

• 1. Re: Unable to start Application server

Did you install it on a domain controller? Is the rscd agent running? What does the /br/console.log say?

• 2. Re: Unable to start Application server

Dou you change the name of the machine?. I am working with virtual machine and i have noted that if you change the name of the machine then to install Baldelogic the "Bladelogic Application Server" doesn't run.

Regards.

• 3. Re: Unable to start Application server
              Girish Tapare

I have just change the domin, and computer name and its IP remain same still it is not able to start.

Does it having any configuration file which conations computer details, so that we can changed in that configuration file.

Thanks,

Giri

• 4. Re: Unable to start Application server
                Bill Robinson

Do you have the 'file server' set to be this box?  If so, it's probably failing on startup because it is looking for the old name for the 'file server'.  looking in the install pdf and find the section about changing the file server name.

you can confirm this by looking through the appserver.log.  (<install dir>/br/appserver.log)

• 5. Re: Unable to start Application server
                  Alan Nakashian-Holsberg

Giri,

I was wondering if you got this resolved?  If not, can you take a look in your rscd.log on the application server show me what entries are in there when you attempt to start the appserver?

One of the things that we see frequently is that "System:System rw,map=localadmin/root" missing from the users.local.  While you don't need this during the install process, once the server is rebooted, or you attempt to stop and start the application server through services, it fails.

Alan

• 6. Re: Unable to start Application server
                    Avikal Jain

I was about to post a question and came across this post. The same issue, initially after installation application sever was running fine but when the server got rebooted, the application service was not coming up. Tried starting it from the services but was giving the error

"The BladeLogic Application Server serviece on local computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the performance logs and alerts service "

Found that there were no entries in users.local file so I updated it with "System:System rw", restarted RSCD agent(not sure if it was required) and then tried starting the application server, it is up now. Wondering now if this has been mentioned in installation pdf anywhere???

• 7. Re: Unable to start Application server

just a guess, but I would imagine that your appserver and file server are one in the same. That being said the appserver service in windows runs as system:system and that is the user in which it will talk to the file servers agent and if that entry is not in the users.local file on the fileserver the appserver will fail to start on subsequent restarts as it cant talk to the appserver ( I would actually expect it to never start the first time though I have never tested it).

I think there is a knowledge base article somewhere but I dont think its included in the documentation directly. The documentation does state that you must has a valid licensed agent, so if its windows system:system is the user and group unix will be different.

hope it helps

• 8. Re: Unable to start Application server
                        Bill Robinson

actually, the System:System mapping applies to Unix as well.  It's not the Windows 'LocalSystem' account.  There is a hidden System role and hidden System user in bladelogic.  look in the 'bluser' table.   this is the role:user that the appserver uses to do the initial communication to the file server.

the underlying problem is that you shouldn't push ACLs to the file server.  you should maps all users to 1 local account that has write permissions on the storage location.