5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 1:00 PM by Will Rodina

Odd timeout errors when building deploy job packages

We have been seeing the following two errors sporadically when building deploy packages from Patch Analysis job results:

timeout1.JPG

timeout2.JPG

This seems to be randomly happening to different groups of servers/patches, at different points in the package creation process. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this, or where to find out more details (logfile, maybe)?

• 1. Re: Odd timeout errors when building deploy job packages

We had this same issue 3 weeks ago. I discovered that we had really bad latency issues between our site and either Shavlik or Microsoft (5 min download for a 800 KB file) hence the timeout issue. Unfortunately we left and came back in on Monday and everything was happy again. Not much of a resolution but might give you some place to start.

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Odd timeout errors when building deploy job packages

So I guess I'll have to call up Microsoft and Shavlik and demand they increase their available bandwidth.

Thanks for the info, I was hoping it was something more under our control...

• 3. Re: Odd timeout errors when building deploy job packages
              Wenchi Liao

What may help is to download the shavlik headers and store it somewhere first. Then configure the patch configuration section to use the locally stored headers (use NSH style path). The patch configuration section has the URLs to the header information to download.

If the pre-download part fails, the patch analysis will still work albeit with older data. It's probably worth it to make this atomic; ie, download to a temporary location, and then move all the files into play when all are downloaded correctly. I don't know for certain, but mis-matching header files may lead to bad results. This won't help the case if MS' website is overloaded.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Odd timeout errors when building deploy job packages

Hm... interesting. So what you're saying is that I could take all of these files:

pa_config.JPG

... download them locally, then change the URI of each to point to the locally-stored copy? Would doing that cause every server running patch analysis to grab the files from the local location instead of the web location? (I'm thinking that might improve performance overall, anyway.)

(Obviously, it's on us then to make sure we would update the local copies when the ones on Shavlik are updated.)

• 5. Re: Odd timeout errors when building deploy job packages
                  Wenchi Liao

Right: the separate download step essentially caches the files locally. Within a patch analysis cycle, the header files can be assumed to be static, so why not. I'm not sure about the details of how the agent and/or appserver grabs the header files; however it is done, the local cache seems to alleviate the problems with random shavlik connection timeouts.