4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 8:40 PM by Bill Robinson

Unable to update server properties

Dan Chan

The following error comes up when clicking the “Verify Server” button after a newly provisioned servers’s IP address and domain have changed.  Clicking the “Verify Server” button should update the server properties with the new IP Address, but instead we get the error below until we bounce the Blade Logic Application Server Service, then the verify server function works properly.

com.bladelogic.app.service.agentservice.AgentConnectionException:

com.bladelogic.app.remot.BlRemoteException: org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcException:

Send headers caught exception java.lang.NullPointerException.

Just to verify that DNS was ok, we also telneted to the box over 4750 with no problem.   The problem only appears to correct itself when we bounce the BladeLogic application service.

Has any ever run across this before?

• 1. Re: Unable to update server properties

The following post seems to be a step in the right direction, though I don't know how useful it will be for releases 7.5 / 7.6/ 8.x

http://communities.bmc.com/communities/docs/DOC-8503

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unable to update server properties
            Dan Chan

It looks like this came down to insufficient ACL's.  The root of the problem being that the Role did not have permissions to push the proper ACL's to begin with.

In the end, I added the following ACL's and that appeared to have resolved the problem.

ACLPushJob.*
            ACLTemplate.Read
            BatchJob.Read
            DeployJob.Execute
            NSHScriptJob.Execute
            ProvisionJob.*
            Server.*
            UpdatePropertiesJob.Execute

• 3. Re: Unable to update server properties

I tried running the Update Server Properties job, but unfortunately it did not help.  Below is the log from running that job, which completed with a green check mark however it was unable to update properties on the server:

Info        Feb 12, 2010 3:47:35 PM                Updating Agent Status...

Info        Feb 12, 2010 3:47:35 PM                No such device or address: MBBLTVMAPP007

Info        Feb 12, 2010 3:47:35 PM                Updating Agent Status...

Info        Feb 12, 2010 3:47:35 PM                Succeeded

I think the issue is that BladeLogic still only knows about the old IP address and therefore cannot communicate with the server.

To date, the only solution I have found to this issue is to stop and start the BladeLogic Application Server service on the BLAPP server.  This is less than ideal since this solution also disconnects any active sessions to the Configuration Manager.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks,
              Jim

• 4. Re: Unable to update server properties
                Bill Robinson

You should open a ticket w/ support on this because this is obviously not the designed behavior.