4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2010 12:25 PM by Bill Robinson

ESX System Package

Bill Robinson

Can someone give me the partitioning layout for a ESX 3.5 server?  I need what you put in the disk partitioning area of the esx system package.

• 1. Re: ESX System Package

Here is an example from my test lab...

part /boot --size 200 --fstype ext3 --ondisk sda --asprimary

part / --size 2000 --fstype ext3 --ondisk sda  --asprimary

part swap --size 256 --fstype swap --ondisk sda --asprimary

part /var/log --size 1000 --fstype ext3 --ondisk sda

part /tmp --size 500 --fstype ext3 --ondisk sda

part None --size 100 --fstype vmkcore --ondisk sda

part None --size 2000 --fstype vmfs3 --ondisk sda

• 2. Re: ESX System Package
            Bill Robinson

Do you need that last vmfs partition?  That's only for storing VMs right?  so if I was going to hook up san and do the vmfs later I can leave that one off?

And does the partitioning really matter for vmware - eg could I just have / and swap?

• 3. Re: ESX System Package

I can't remember if it will let you partition without an initial storage group. You could always create a tiny storage group to get through the install and then later manually create one once the SAN is hooked up. And yes, I believe you don't need to specify the other partitions explicitly unless you want to distribute them on different disks. As a best practice I always individually define them so that the mount points and partitions are unique thus avoiding catastrophe if /tmp or /var fills up due to some process. I guess in that case /usr should be popped out too.

• 4. Re: ESX System Package
                Bill Robinson

What's the vmkcore fs for?  I usually do the /tmp and /var as separate for any *nix for those same reasons.