0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 10:55 AM by Rodrigo Vargas

Surfing in the Clouds

Share This:

Since I've reading many cloud computing reports, blogs and stuffs I realized that Cloud Computing is not too far away from the real clouds, they can move, make storms, dissapear, block the sun and so many other things in common. Now CC (Cloud Computing) can move not so often fisicaly but they can move massive data that can make a information storm in the right point of view, they can also dissapear when applications and/or services hits the ground and so on.

Now the biggest challenge in this field is that we must have the knowledge and technique to surf clouds as well as we did so many years ago on the Internet but now we must to learn how to surf in the cloud but this time we are not going to surf web pages this time we'll  surf on services. I guess that (SaaS) it is and will be the major profitable area in CC due that all big companies and some other small business software developers will follow this model and represent all the IT market needs (Lower costs for licensing and lower infrastructure costs due to virtualization). We need to have the clarity to see that every serious IT company is looking forward to this technology and also we must to be wise and detect market trends that can make the difference between a good or a bad cloud.

Let's take an example of a good free cloud... Yes I'm talking about an OpenSource cloud that for an obvious reason I will not to speak of but I can tell you that started in South Africa (Changing the subject... I just can't wait to see my country team play the match on June).

Well this kind of clouds are small clouds just like cumulus-cloud but they can grow and grow until create a storm (figurative speaking of course). Now let's take a comparison between our brand new cloud partner Amazon and other solutions and we will find some annoying things like:

- Persistance :  If there's a host failure that makes your instance to terminate, all local data from that instance will be gone.

- Sizes: The instances starts at 1.7 Gb (What if you got a few and small instances?).

- CPU: You need to launch another instance in order to get additional CPU capacity.

- IP Adresses: Your private IP is NATed to a public ones for each instance.

AND SO ON.

Based in our new business partner objetives I can tell you that this is a warning alert because some other SaaS offering companies world wide are taking profits from this lack of flexibility let's take an example of our Indians friends, Indians are very wise and they are very updated also about this issues and I agree with "Gartner" that they could represent more than 20% of the leading service offering companies by 2012.  So I guess that clouds can slowly take a nice curry taste in few the years.

I have absolutely no intentions to offend people, countries or companies... this words is just a forecast of a clouding world.

Kind Regards !.