4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 9:26 AM by Andrew St. Jean

general snapshot question

When running snapshot jobs, where can I see the changes the jobs detect? How much detail regarding the changes can I see? I plan on using File and Configuration File objects in my snapshots. I may need to use extended objects since, in some cases, I need to identify changes in comments and sometimes line order is important.

I'm trying to determine what information I can gain from snapshots compared to what I can get from snapshots and audits. The files I want to manage have differences between servers so I'm thinking using audits with a single master will be problematic.

I'm using BladeLogic 7.6 and I have BSARA installed for reporting.

• 1. Re: general snapshot question
          Bill Robinson

This information should be available in BSARA after the ETL runs, in the 'Change Tracking' domain.

If you want to see the delta in the CM GUI you need to use an audit job.  If you want to see the differences of a self-comparison (one to one) of a server, for many servers, you might want to look at these scripts:  http://communities.bmc.com/communities/docs/DOC-8703

This exposes what is being done w/ the 'change tracking'.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: general snapshot question

The scripts you pointed me to look like they'd be very useful. I notice that they've been around for a while. Should they work with version 7.6 of BladeLogic?

On the assumption that they do, I've installed jython on my appserver but I can't connect to the appserver with jython. I am able to start up jython and I get to the connect() call as described in the blcli documentation, then I get a java stack trace.

# ./bljython

>>> import sys

>>> import bladelogic.cli.CLI as blcli

>>> jli = blcli.CLI()

Traceback (innermost last):

File "<console>", line 1, in ?

File "/usr/apps/nsh/br/jython/bladelogic/cli/CLI.py", line 100, in connect

at com.bladelogic.cli.CliLoginOperations.getSessionCredentialFromCache(CliLoginOperations.java:148)

at com.bladelogic.cli.CliLoginOperations.obtainSessionCredential(CliLoginOperations.java:90)

at com.bladelogic.session.client.SessionLoginManager.connect(SessionLoginManager.java:150)

at com.bladelogic.session.client.SessionLoginManager.login(SessionLoginManager.java:79)

at com.bladelogic.cli.CLMain.loginToAppServer(CLIMain.java:839)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

com.bladelogic.session.client.SessionLoginException: com.bladelogic.session.client.SessionLoginException: No authentication profile name specified.

I found another thread where someone was getting this error while using SSO authentication. I'm using SRP. I have a user_info.dat file created for the user I'm running bljython as and the file is in .bladelogic/.user in the user's home directory. Did I mention that I'm doing all this on Solaris 10?

So any idea why jython can't connect to BladeLogic? I've installed version 2.2.1 of jython but otherwise followed the instructions in the blcli documentation. I've tried running bljython as both root and bladmin with the same result.

• 3. Re: general snapshot question
              Bill Robinson

Look in the bljython file itself, there are a bunch of environment variables for the blsso credentials, profile, etc.  you'd need to use the blcred command to get sso creds.  there should also be a way to use the srp cache too.  if you run this via a nsh script job you shouldn't have to worry about that stuff, but for testing you will.

the commands should still work w/ 7.6, the scripts automate the process of remastering and running audit jobs.  you might need to think about that - do you want the differences from every night (eg mon/tues, tues/wed) or a baseline and then the current time ( eg mon/tues mon/wed mon/thu).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: general snapshot question

OK. I'm a little farther ahead now. When running bljython from command line, if I run blcred with the -acquire option to start a session with the appserver and also set the BL_AUTH_PROFILE_NAME environment variable with a valid profile, I can then run bljython and connect to the appserver.

However, if I use a nsh script executed using a job in Configuration Manager, the job errors out with the same error I was seeing when running bljython from the command line, namely 'No authentication profile name specified'. I'm using the nsh script included in the bundle you pointed me at. It's set up to execute using runscript and the target of the job is the BladeLogic appserver where I've installed jython.

Perusing the bljython script, I see there is a CLI_SRP_CREDS environment variable. What is bljython expecting in this variable? I tried setting it to the path of a user_info.dat file but that didn't do anything.

Your point about deciding just what I want the audit jobs to cover is well taken. I'll start thinking about that as soon as I get the change tracking scripts to run using Configuration Manager.