5 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 3:02 PM by Adam Bowen

"Cannot decode an empty value" while accessing to shavlik

Antonio Caputo

Hi all

when I access (via Config Manager) to Tools -> Patch Analysis Configuration and then try to download a cab on shavlik I got the following error:

Cannot decode an empty value

My configuration is Application Server 7.5 with a remote connection to AS via Configuration Manager on a client PC.

The settings (via blasadmin) of HTTPProxyName and HTTPProxyPort defined on the AS are correct. Proxy does't use any user and password.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

• 1. Re: "Cannot decode an empty value" while accessing to shavlik
          Antonio Caputo

This is the log showed on appserver.log file:

+

asbinc@prod.corner.ch:BLAdmins:172.17.1.208 Cannot decode an empty value

com.bladelogic.mfw.util.BlException: Cannot decode an empty value

at com.bladelogic.shared.util.Encoder.decode(Encoder.java:85)

at com.bladelogic.app.util.HttpProxyConfig.setDefaultProxy(HttpProxyConfig.java:69)

at com.bladelogic.app.util.DownloadServer.downloadFile(DownloadServer.java:67)

at com.bladelogic.model.job.compliance.patch.ShavlikResult.downloadShavlikFilesInternal(ShavlikResult.java:318)

at com.bladelogic.model.job.compliance.patch.ShavlikResult.downloadShavlikFilesOnFileServer(ShavlikResult.java:172)

at com.bladelogic.model.job.compliance.patch.ShavlikResult.downloadAndGetConfigFileLocation(ShavlikResult.java:236)

at com.bladelogic.message.frame.PatchConfigFileFrame.service(PatchConfigFileFrame.java:67)

at com.bladelogic.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.processRequest(ClientWorkerThread.java:370)

at com.bladelogic.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.processClientRequest(ClientWorkerThread.java:280)

at com.bladelogic.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.handleClientRequest(ClientWorkerThread.java:180)

at com.bladelogic.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.execute(ClientWorkerThread.java:99)

at com.bladelogic.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.execute(ClientWorkerThread.java:25)

at com.bladelogic.app.service.thread.BlBlockingThread.run(BlBlockingThread.java:92)

asbinc@prod.corner.ch:BLAdmins:172.17.1.208 Cannot decode an empty value

com.bladelogic.mfw.util.BlException: Cannot decode an empty value

at com.bladelogic.shared.util.Encoder.decode(Encoder.java:85)

at com.bladelogic.app.util.HttpProxyConfig.setDefaultProxy(HttpProxyConfig.java:69)

at com.bladelogic.app.util.DownloadServer.downloadFile(DownloadServer.java:67)

at com.bladelogic.model.job.compliance.patch.ShavlikResult.downloadShavlikFilesInternal(ShavlikResult.java:318)

at com.bladelogic.model.job.compliance.patch.ShavlikResult.downloadShavlikFilesOnFileServer(ShavlikResult.java:172)

at com.bladelogic.model.job.compliance.patch.ShavlikResult.downloadAndGetConfigFileLocation(ShavlikResult.java:236)

at com.bladelogic.message.frame.PatchConfigFileFrame.service(PatchConfigFileFrame.java:67)

at com.bladelogic.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.processRequest(ClientWorkerThread.java:370)

at com.bladelogic.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.processClientRequest(ClientWorkerThread.java:280)

at com.bladelogic.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.handleClientRequest(ClientWorkerThread.java:180)

at com.bladelogic.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.execute(ClientWorkerThread.java:99)

at com.bladelogic.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.execute(ClientWorkerThread.java:25)

at com.bladelogic.app.service.thread.BlBlockingThread.run(BlBlockingThread.java:92)

+

• 2. Re: "Cannot decode an empty value" while accessing to shavlik

Did you ever resolve this? I am facing this same problem now.

I configured the proxy information at the OS level and I can grab the shavlik files via wget.

• 3. Re: "Cannot decode an empty value" while accessing to shavlik
              Antonio Caputo

Try to put username and password into ""

• 4. Re: "Cannot decode an empty value" while accessing to shavlik

yeah. I figured that out earlier, but now it has progressed into giving me error 403. Which would imply that the username and password are wrong, but the proxy server does not require one.

• 5. Re: "Cannot decode an empty value" while accessing to shavlik

To answer my own question:

The 403 issue was because the http proxy (in this case a blue coat) was locked down to only allow specific user agents. In our case, a rule for "^Oakland Software*" had to be entered to allow BL to use the proxy.