11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 10:39 AM by Mike Reider

NSH with putty

Gerardo Bartoccini

I always use NSH with putty on Windows and I like it very much.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, NSH client on Windows is based on cygwin, which has got an ugly default shell based on DOS cmd.

You can use a custom flavor of putty instead.

Go to http://code.google.com/p/puttycyg/ and download the latest version (hopefully you don't have conflicts, but the compatibility is quite wide).

Extract the content under OM/bin, create a shortcut for putty.exe and then edit the Properties so that the Target of the Shortcut looks like:

"C:\Program Files\BladeLogic\OM\bin\putty.exe" -cygterm nsh

(change the path according to your installation)

Remember that, if you use NSH proxy server, you need to authenticate with the standard NSH client, then you can use putty.

Now, my problem:

I have used this procedure many times and it always worked. I have done the same this morning for a customer, and it doesn't work.

After some troubleshooting we got it working prepending a ".\" to nsh, as follows:

"C:\Program Files\BladeLogic\OM\bin\putty.exe" -cygterm .\nsh

Unfortunately, this works when running putty, but doesn't when using it in a Custom Command.

For sake of clarity, the Custom Command is a Local GUI with the following command:

putty -cygterm nsh -D //%H"%p"

I have tried something like this:

putty -cygterm .\nsh -D //%H"%p"

or this:

putty -cygterm ./nsh -D //%H"%p"

or with different combination of back and forward slashes, but nothing works.

I believe it's a matter of path, but editing the Windows %PATH% environment variable didn't help.

Did anybody incur in such an issue before?

Thanks

Gerardo