6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2012 9:35 AM by Sean Berry

Fastest BladeLogic DataBase

John Van Ommen

What's the fastest performance you've seen from a BladeLogic database?

In my personal experience the best performance I've seen was from an Oracle RAC setup running on dual Dells, with dual Intel Xeons 7300s (Core2 Duo based, 2.4ghz. eight cores total.)

Worst performance I've seen was on a Sun T2000, which uses a single processor with eight cores running at 1.0ghz.

What have you seen "in the field?"

• 1. Re: Fastest BladeLogic DataBase
          Bill Robinson

The worst I've seen was an old AIX box, power series I think, w/ local disk that didn't have enough space. it was probably a 500 mhz cpu or something, maybe dual proc. it would have been faster to have a monkey write the data on a piece of paper and read it back.

your setup sounds pretty good, i've seen some decent mssql setups on similar hardware using the mssql clustering (not rac).

what's up w/ the t2000s anyway? i've not been real impressed w/ that hardware. maybe it can do alot in parallel, but it's dog slow. the cpus top out at 1.2 ghz or so, that's horrible.

• 2. Re: Fastest BladeLogic DataBase
            John Van Ommen

The worst I've seen was an old AIX box, power series

I think, w/ local disk that didn't have enough space.

it was probably a 500 mhz cpu or something, maybe

dual proc. it would have been faster to have a

monkey write the data on a piece of paper and read

it back.

your setup sounds pretty good, i've seen some decent

mssql setups on similar hardware using the mssql

clustering (not rac).

Yes, I've noticed the same thing. Had a customer running on dual-core Opterons running SQL Server with good results. Oracle didn't seem to be noticeably faster, though this is anything but scientific.

what's up w/ the t2000s anyway? i've not been real

impressed w/ that hardware. maybe it can do alot in

parallel, but it's dog slow. the cpus top out at 1.2

ghz or so, that's horrible.

Unfortunately that's the database I'm stuck with :( :( :(

I started this thread to get some feedback on what other people are using!

• 3. Re: Fastest BladeLogic DataBase
              Bill Robinson

you need to match the db to the appservers - the customer that had the crappy aix db also initially had a slow appserver (ultrasparc III) so the slow db didn't matter. when we upgraded them to 4 8way xenons w/ 24GB of ram each we were hozing the db, it couldn't keep up. so if you have a slow appserver, the db may not be the bottleneck... and a fast db could mean your appserver is the bottleneck...

but yeah, i'd be interested to see what people are using in the real world.

• 4. Re: Fastest BladeLogic DataBase
                Scott Rabinow

Bill, ask and ye shall receive...

We are running our 7.4.6 infrastructure on a Sun T5220 split into 5 LDoms for the 4 appservers (1 for config/nsh, and 3 for jobs) and fileserver. Control domain gets "4 CPU", each appserver gets "14 CPU" and 14 GB RAM, and the fileserver gets the last "4 CPU"... CPU is in quotes because technically they are all threads, not actual CPU. For multiple, parallel activities, this setup is dramatically faster than our old Sun V890 server, but the old server was faster for single threaded stuff. Thsi new setup gives us 150 job-workitem-threads available, so when it's appropriate, we can get a lot of parallelization. We tend to be CPU bound when we hit the wall, not memory bound, so adding a second appserver on each LDom does not appear to add much value.

Our DB is running on an AIX LPAR, I believe on a couple of Power6 architecture CPU with 12 GB RAM assigned. The DB can be pretty busy, but doesn't seem to be a bottleneck most of the time.

Our next improvement will be to get a second T5220 in another datacenter to improve our already good uptime (we've had 1 hardware failure that took down the whole T5220 in 5 months). We'll also adjust the amount of CPU for each LDOM at that time and reduce the config to 2 job servers on each T5220 with more CPU available for each one, and also reduce the CPU for the config/nsh appserver since it doesn't seem to be CPU intensive here.

After that, it's just HA for the DB.... (big bucks needed)!!!

How's that for real world?

• 5. Re: Fastest BladeLogic DataBase
                  JAYENDRA SAXENA

Hi Scott,

What is your AIX LPAR Database configurations.

• 6. Re: Fastest BladeLogic DataBase
                    Sean Berry

The best database performance I'm hearing about is on machines with good floating point (FP) performance: typically 8-way Xeons, running Linux.  I believe the beefy mid-range SPARC boxes do very well as well.  I understand that the T2000s suffered as database machines because they had relatively light FP performance, but good integer performance (good for webservers, bad for databases).