4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2009 5:53 PM by Bill Robinson

Error (5) - <hostname>: I/O error

I receive this message on in blasadmin upon setting the hostname of the fileserver. Is there a log that I can check to see what this is doing? I would presume it is attempting to communicate to the database and perhaps the agent of this host?

• 1. Re: Error (5) - <hostname>: I/O error
          Bill Robinson

look in /usr/nsh/br/*.log, if anything was captured it would be in there, or in the console output.

i'd assume that this means you can't talk to the file server you specified - is the agent up and running?

also, why are you using blasadmin to set the file server? typically you would set this w/ the blappconf wizard or use some db scripts to change the file server for an existing install.

• 2. Re: Error (5) - <hostname>: I/O error

Hi Bill, thanks for replying:

>> look in /usr/nsh/br/*.log, if anything was captured it would be in there, or in the console output.

I only see ui.log and appserver.log, and neither of them record the events. Seems like appserver.log mentions another issue of being unable to parse the bladelogic.keystore file. I wouldn't think that would be related however.

>> i'd assume that this means you can't talk to the file server you specified - is the agent up and running?

It appears so:

ps -ef |grep rscd

root 4270 1 0 Apr 20 ? 0:00 bin/rscd

root 2662 4272 0 14:06:05 ? 0:00 bin/rscd

root 4271 4270 0 Apr 20 ? 0:00 bin/rscd

root 2858 20255 0 14:09:31 pts/1 0:00 grep rscd

root 4272 4270 0 Apr 20 ? 0:00 bin/rscd

>>also, why are you using blasadmin to set the file server? typically you would set this w/ the blappconf wizard or use some db scripts to change the file server for an existing install.

I performed the install, but there were database connectivity issues during the install that I corrected. So I corrected that using the CLI utility. I used the CLI installation on Solaris. This host is at a remote facility, so if there are any GUI utilities, I would have to set up VNC or such. Is the issue because the appserver is not running due to the keystore error mentioned previously? Here is the message:

problems reading or parsing keystore file:/usr/nsh/br/bladelogic.keystore

J

• 3. Re: Error (5) - <hostname>: I/O error

Just thought I would comment on this. So the utility you mentioned was able to run over a forwarded X11 session via SSH. Secondly, the GUI gave a better message, and that it couldn't detect the license. Once I used the getlic utility, downloaded the license from Bladelogic's site, and used the pulic utility to install the license, this corrected the issue.

I guess I'm suprised the installation documentation didn't mention needing the license at this time, and that the error message via CLI wasn't more clear at the actual issue.

J

• 4. Re: Error (5) - <hostname>: I/O error
                Bill Robinson

the agent should have a 10-day license on install, so you shouldn't have to license it right away.

but there are cases where a 'fresh' install of the agent will not get the 10-day license (if an agent had been installed before on the system and removed, the hostid changes)

the blappconf is the preferred method of configuring the appserver, though a text based config interface would be useful (ncurses or somesuch). if you can, open up a support ticket w/ that request (i've put one in, but it's helpful to get customer feedback too)