8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2009 8:34 PM by John Van Ommen

Multiple File Servers in BladeLogic?

I thought I saw a picture of the depot space in one of the docs that showed two file depots.

Is this possible?

We would like to package and store new apps where our remote dev teams are, rather than packaging over the wan.

• 1. Re: Multiple File Servers in BladeLogic?
          Bill Robinson

you cannot have multiple "file servers" but you can have packages that use the "network deploy" function.

you put an agent on the network location (or use nfs or cifs) and specify the network deploy type and method (rscd, nfs, cifs) and the payload will not get loaded into bladelogic, it will get pulled from this location during deploy. bladelogic does not manage the files at this location like it would for payloads that get loaded in the normal method.

• 2. Re: Multiple File Servers in BladeLogic?

This may work. Is there a section in the users guide for more details?

Do I still have use of the property dictionary for elements deployed from network locations?

• 3. Re: Multiple File Servers in BladeLogic?
              Bill Robinson

there's not really any setup for the network deploy (not like a repeater)

look in the user's guide for any 7.4.x release - there should be a section about using network URLs in there.

• 4. Re: Multiple File Servers in BladeLogic?

The users guide speaks in terms of managing patches with this method.

Does this support BLPackages?

Do I have the property Dictionary available to use for my packages and deploy jobs with this method?

• 5. Re: Multiple File Servers in BladeLogic?
                  Bill Robinson

it works for any of the software installables (rpms, msi, solaris pkgs) but not directly for blpackages. (but you can have a network install installable inside a blpackage)

you shouldn't have to use the property dictionary for this.

• 6. Re: Multiple File Servers in BladeLogic?

The concern is we are packaging java apps. Jar files and config files. We are hoping to utilize the property dictionary to move packages between dev, QA, and production seamlessly by utilizing Property dictionary references in the config file entries. This is an important BladeLogic feature.

Our issue is also that our dev's are on the other side of the country from our BladeLogic system. We would like to automate the packaging (via blcli) in the build process (maven, team city, etc), then push to a dev server that is local to that team.

We have concerns about sending blcli calls over the WAN and additionally the time involved with packaging over the WAN and the re-pushing back over the WAN to the remote dev server. Seams like an inefficient process.

The repeater is an excellent solution for deployment. However, it does not answer the packaging over the wan issue, hence why I opened this thread regarding multiple file servers.

Any ideas?

Also when I package something on a server. Does it first package on that server and then get put in the depot? Any docs on the packaging process?

• 7. Re: Multiple File Servers in BladeLogic?
                      Bill Robinson

Right now, as far as I've seen the blpackage can't do the network deploy, though I'd like it to (put in a support ticket asking for this if you can)

you could create a custom software object that's a network deploy, put that into a blpackage, then edit the custom software object install commands in the blpackage and use the local properties from the blpacakge for your promotion.

that should get you the parameterization you need plus the network deploy.

the network deploy doesn't really make a package on the source server it just copies whatever is in the source directory you specify to the target.

if it is a package going into the depot, i believe it just copies straight to the depot, via the appserver where it gets 'packaged' inline

• 8. Re: Multiple File Servers in BladeLogic?
                        John Van Ommen

Hey Graham,

A file deploy job can be parameterized, and is faster than a BLPackage. Potentially, it can be a lot faster, as much as 10x faster. This is because you can deploy from a URL that's geographically closer. Even if it's not geographically closer, it's still faster than a BLPackage due to the way the deployment flows.

Our issue is also that our dev's are on the other

side of the country from our BladeLogic system. We

would like to automate the packaging (via blcli) in

the build process (maven, team city, etc), then push

to a dev server that is local to that team.

We have concerns about sending blcli calls over the

WAN and additionally the time involved with packaging

over the WAN and the re-pushing back over the WAN to

the remote dev server. Seams like an inefficient

process.

In the situation which you are describing, I would locate the files geographically close to the target, and then write an NSH or a Jython script which kicks off a file deploy job. I could throw something together and put it in the forums if you'd like some clarity on this.

About a year back I was trying to figure out how to deploy thousands of files, and I wrote this forum post on it. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it has references to how the process works, including details from the BladeLogic documentation.

https://www.bladelogic.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=4365

John

The repeater is an excellent solution for deployment.

However, it does not answer the packaging over the

wan issue, hence why I opened this thread regarding

multiple file servers.

Any ideas?

Also when I package something on a server. Does it

first package on that server and then get put in the

depot? Any docs on the packaging process?The concern is we are packaging java apps. Jar files

and config files. We are hoping to utilize the

property dictionary to move packages between dev, QA,

and production seamlessly by utilizing Property

dictionary references in the config file entries.

This is an important BladeLogic feature.