1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 1, 2008 11:29 AM by Bill Robinson

Impact of BladeLogic

Can anyone provide a pointer to a guide or info that can help me assess the impact of deploying Bladelogic on a) my managed servers (Win2K3 & Solaris 10), b) my network (typical traffic between key points).

I know this is a bit subjective and no one can give me 'the answer' but there must be some guidance for assessing the impact. Plus I'm lousy at finding things on the KB ;)

• 1. Re: Impact of BladeLogic
          Bill Robinson

I don't know that there is a guide per se. when idle the agent eats up maybe 1-2M of memory. so it really depends on what you are doing that determines CPU and memory utilization, etc.

if you're deploying a package you'll eat up as many resources as you would if you were manually installing the package, or if you're doing a compliance scan that scans for world-writeable files, you'd eat up whatever running those commands would if done by hand - the agent doesn't add much overhead.

because the agent is 'speak when spoken to' it does nothing unless you direct it to do something - no phoning home, no back and forth network traffic between the appserver and the agents, etc. so there's not much impact.

now, if in the past you were running around w/ CDs and installing at the console and now you are deploying over the network, you'd see an increase in traffic, but that's because the delivery mechanism changed...