2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2008 3:59 AM by Antonio Caputo

Error in os_config job

Antonio Caputo

after running the os_config job I get the following error on some servers:

ERROR 1

Error Dec 1, 2008 2:10:27 AM Unable to append to file //svzvrasblg001w3/C/Program Files/BladeLogic/Reports/tmp/svzvrasidqt01w3.xml: Connection timed out

ERROR 2

+Info Dec 1, 2008 2:10:41 AM Exit Code 2

Info Dec 1, 2008 2:10:36 AM Getting data for host: svzvrsgt01w3... Unable to copy svzvrsgt01w3.xml to //svzvrasblg001w3/C/Program Files/BladeLogic/Reports/data/os_config/new. You can find a copy of the file at //svzvrasblg001w3/C/Program Files/BladeLogic/Reports/tmp

Error Dec 1, 2008 2:10:35 AM cp: Unable to create file //svzvrasblg001w3/C/Program Files/BladeLogic/Reports/data/os_config/new: Is a directory+

Can you please help me to understand how to fix?

Thanks a lot

• 1. Re: Error in os_config job
          Bill Robinson

are there successful servers in the os_config run along w/ these errors?

the os_config generates an xml file from the output of the os_config script and drops it on the reports server in the data/os_config dir. my understanding is that 'new' files get put in the /new directory and then moved up one level during the etl (not 100% on that last part)

i'm not sure where the xml file is stored on the target system before it gets copied over - probably /tmp - is there anything there?

is there anything unique about the boxes it's happening on? does it always happen on the same boxes or is it random?

• 2. Re: Error in os_config job
            Antonio Caputo

The problem does not affect the same servers everytime.

So I thought it was dued to a sort of "overlapping" of the threads during the parallel execution of all the os_config jobs (one per server).

So in the job configuration panel I changed the flag from 'Number of targets to process in parallel = Unlimited' to 'Number of targets to process in parallel = 20' and this fixed the problem.

By the way, it could be nice to understand why choosing unlimited this happen. We speak of just 100 servers.