I believe this means that the file server agent is not available.
is the file server agent online and licensed?
Actually, it was the application server license (same as file server) not reporting the correct number of processors in the 'getlic' process. Since it is a text file, before I submitted the agent for licensing, I opened the file and in the second section, increased the number of processors to 64, the max. When I licensed through the web portal, it came back with the correct number of four. Originally it had been 3 processors, not correct. Once licensed properly, it took off.
Thanks to BL support guys.
was it a Virtual Machine?
i've got the same error message sporadically for some time and never tracked it down.
i'm going to try your "getlic patch" and see if it solves the problem
Encountered similar issues when our servers were virtualized. BladeLogic uses the combination of Host ID and # of Processors to generate agent license. Some of our virtual servers were configured to allocate system resources dynamically -- as the system load increases, so is the # of CPUs. The agent become invalid (not licensed) when the # of CPUs pass beyond the number that it is licensed for.
To license virtual servers, it is now a step in our SOP to increase the number in the second column of the license.raw file before submission for licensing.
Sorry, yes, it is a virtual machine and it is set up to be dynamically allocated for the resources. When I checked the license.raw file before submitting it for licensing, it showed 3 processors when it actually had four (virtual) Per BL support I changed it to the max default of 64 just to be sure it had enough and when it was licensed, it was the correct number of four processors and I no longer got the 'software unlicensed' message.