3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2008 4:35 PM by John van Ommen

Migration to 7.4.2 from 7.2

I am preparing to migrate my original install of 7.2 to the latest. I have an appserver and a sql db and I have to upgrade in steps, 7.2 to 7.3 to 7.4 to 7.4.2. Anyone have any recommended process to do this? I know there are instructions for each step in each released version but they seem to jump around and I have not seen or come across any step by step laid out process. I guess I could make my own process by cutting and pasting from the documentation links that I need and make my own. I just don't want to miss anything. Would it be a good idea to check out each step of the migration to ensure everything works to that level or just upgrade to a version and then upgrade to the next? Is it possible to jump to the latest and then import my current data or will I lose it? I am using a SQL DB.

Just looking for the optimum way.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: Migration to 7.4.2 from 7.2

I recently did a 7.2 -> 7.4.2 upgrade and a 7.3 -> 7.4.2 upgrade. I had to do a document for my client. See attached. Let me know if you have any questions.

I will watch this thread

Kunal Rao

• 2. Re: Migration to 7.4.2 from 7.2
            Bill Robinson

is this doc just for oracle ?

• 3. Re: Migration to 7.4.2 from 7.2

The last upgrade I performed for a customer was from 7.3.0 to 7.4.1.

In my experience, there are two issues to keep your eyes open for.

Keep in mind that I did the upgrade the day 7.4.1 was released; these issues ARE PROBABLY FIXED at the time of this writing. So before doing the upgrade, call support, and find out if you even have to watch out for these two gotchas.

Having said that, here's what I ran into.

First, I had to upgrade from 7.3.0 to 7.4.0 to 7.4.1. This is a bit more work than going straight from 7.3.0 to 7.4.2. More importantly, 7.4.0 is not generally available. AFAIK, this requirement is for SQL Server only; if you're running Oracle, you won't see this.

1) Upgrade 7.3.1 to 7.4 on appserver and reporting server

2) Run Data Migration from 7.3.x to 7.4.0 from appserver

3) Upgrade to 7.4.1 on the appserver and reporting server

4) Do the data migration from 7.4.0 to 7.4.1

Contact support to determine if a two-step upgrade is still required.

Second, there was an issue which would throw the following error during migration:

Invalid object name mig_run. SQLState: S0002 ErrorCode: 208

If you get the error above, there's a known solution. I believe the solution has already been integrated in the GA code, so I won't waste space posting it here. It should be a non-issue at the moment.

Last, I ran into an issue where the app server wouldn't start after being upgraded to 7.4.1. This was due to missing entries in config.xml. If you get this error when starting the app server:

+xception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.bladelogic.app.profile.ServerProfileType.getAttributesForTypes(ServerProfileType.java:124)

at com.bladelogic.app.profile.ServerProfile.(ServerProfile.java:111)

at com.bladelogic.mfw.fw.BlManager.parseArguments(BlManager.java:328)

at com.bladelogic.mfw.fw.BlManager.start(BlManager.java:343)

at com.bladelogic.mfw.fw.BlManager.start(BlManager.java:336)

at com.bladelogic.app.profile.ServerProfileService.start(ServerProfileService.java:60)

at com.bladelogic.app.profile.ServerProfileService.main(ServerProfileService.java:341)+

There is a known solution. Like the 2nd error, I believe it's already been fixed in the GA code. If not, the solution is to add the AuthSvcPort to config.xml on the application server.