13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2013 6:10 PM by Siddu angadi

How to Run Job, Wait for Output, Run the Next Job

John Van Ommen

One of my coworkers asked me how to run a job, wait for output, then run another job. Thought I'd post it here for future reference.

There's a few different ways to do it. You could string together a series of BLCLI commands such as "blcli Job listAllByGroup" and "blcli Job execute". Then you could run "blcli JobRun getEndTimeByRunKeyId." Based on the end time, you could run a "blcli Job execute" for the 2nd job.

But that's a lot of work, and it looks like there's a better solution. There's a single command that will do what we need, as long as the job is a deploy job:

"blcli DeployJob executeJobAndWait"

DeployJob : executeJobAndWait

This command executes a Deploy Job and waits for the job to end before returning.

Use this command to execute a job unless the job should be scheduled. Because this command does not return until the job completes, it effectively pauses execution of any script running this command.

This command returns a handle to the job run. It can be used in other commands that need to reference the Deploy Job run.

Return Type: com.bladelogic.app.service.job.JobRunKey

Command Input

Argument Name Argument Type Description

jobKey com.bladelogic.model.base.keys.DBKey Handle to the Deploy Job to be executed.

The following example gets a handle to a Deploy Job, executes the job, and waits for the job to end before returning.

JOB_NAME="Deploy to all Servers"

JOB_KEY=`blcli DeployJob getDBKeyByGroupAndName "$JOB_FOLDER" "$JOB_NAME"`

JOB_RUN_KEY=`blcli DeployJob executeJobAndWait $JOB_KEY`