2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2006 8:34 AM by susan daane

perl NSH module scripting - bl 6.3.2

Has anyone had problems (or better yet, NOT had problems) writing files with the perl NSH module? I have been trying for a week to write a large file with long lines to the appserver, and to a remote host, with little success. Does the following code work on your server? (example courtesy of Sung Koo):

use NSH;

$appserver = "";

$portfile = "tmp/portfile";

@lines = ("my\n", "name\n", "is\n", "nobody\n", "That weapon will replace your tongue. You will speak through it. And your poetry will now be written with blood. -- Dead Man\n") ;

NSH::chdir("//$appserver") || print "cant cd to remote host:$!\n";

NSH::system("rm -f /$portfile");

$fd0 = NSH::open("/$portfile","w",0777) || die "can't open $filename for writing: $!" ;

foreach $line (@lines)

Thank you in advance, Susan

• 1. Re: perl NSH module scripting - bl 6.3.2
          Mark Jeffery

Are you able to do anything with the perl module?

What platform are you using, and what platform is your app server?

I have often written things without using the NSH module, and exec'ing nsh. For example, the following opens up a remote file:

open(HL,"nsh -c \"cat $hostlist\"|") ||

die "Couldn't open $hostlist : $!\n";

while () {

if ($_ =~ /^(/w/-/.+)/) {

push @hosts,$1;

close HL;

• 2. Re: perl NSH module scripting - bl 6.3.2

The perl module works otherwise. The appserver is Solaris 9, and I'm running nsh from a windows 2000 machine. I've tried opening files on Solaris 9 and 10 remote hosts.

I can write to the file by doing echos in a loop (NSH::system("echo $line >> file")), but many of the lines exceed the 255-char limit that NSH has. Worse, all of the lines don't make it into the file - the different NSH::system lines apparently get executed in random order and step on each other. It just seems crazy that this is so tough - that it's so hard to write to a remote file. We will need to do a lot of it.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm still looking for a solution!