7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2006 2:04 PM by Sean Daley

Strange Script Output

I'm trying to run a script that gets copied and executed remotely, but I'm getting strange output. The first does a 'uname' and the second does a 'hostname'.

Info 01/05/2006 16:24:24 OS is ^D□□SunOS.

Info 01/05/2006 16:24:25 Hostname is ^D□□ snwpeng4.

Error 01/05/2006 16:24:29 cp: ^D□□ not found

Info 01/05/2006 16:24:29 D □□ERROR: (D snwpeng4) Unable to make backup copy shadow file to /etc/shadow.010506162429

Info 01/05/2006 16:24:29 ^D□□

Info 01/05/2006 16:24:34 D □□D□□ ^D□□

Info 01/05/2006 16:24:34 Exit Code 0

I thought it might have to do with different app server / agent versions, but they're both at 6.3.1. Anyone ever seen this?

• 1. Re: Strange Script Output

We've seen similar issues with output of "nexec"'ed commands with App server ver 6.3 and 6.3.3. We believe the issue we are having is only when going against some older (6.2.x) agents but it's possible the problem is present with newer agents too.

We see out like:

^D /opt/buxton/prod

(that's ctrl-D ctrl-H ctrl-H at the start of the output) from commands like:

nexec "find /opt -type d -name prod"

We appear to only have a problem when running nexec's from within jobs. If we run those same nexec commands manually in nsh we don't see the problem.

We've had a ticket (9436) open on it for about a month now. Does not look to be any progress yet.

Jim Collins

Putnam Investments

Message was edited by:

Jim Collins

• 2. Re: Strange Script Output

I suppose it's comforting to hear I'm not the only one seeing it :). Have you tried upgrading your agents? I know that I only see this problem on specific servers. I had thought it was against an agent of the same version, but I might be wrong. I'll take a look at the case you have open and make a note that I'm seeing it as well and hopefully we can get at least an official in-house reproduction of the issue and fix.

• 3. Re: Strange Script Output

I have seent this behavior before on 6.2.x. To work around it, you can strip out all control characters (including newlines):

nexec -e somecommand | tr -d '[:cntrl:]'

• 4. Re: Strange Script Output

This has helped somewhat, but I am still seeing ^D characters in my output:

This code:

SYSTEM_OS=`nexec -e uname -s`

echo "OS was $SYSTEM_OS"

SYSTEM_OS=`nexec -e uname -s | tr -d '[:cntrl:]'`

echo "OS is $SYSTEM_OS"

produces this output:

Info 01/06/2006 13:31:49 OS was ^D SunOS

Info 01/06/2006 13:31:49 OS is SunOS^D

I find it strange that on the 2nd one it puts the ^D at the end of the variable. Do you know how to get rid of the ^D?

• 5. Re: Strange Script Output
                  Chris Zappala

are you executing these NSH jobs/commands from a windows appserver or on windows agents? i know that this is a problem when running nsh commands and trying to store the output to a variable in these scenarios.

instead of specifying the POSIX character class for control chars, you should use the ascii key codes for the control characters that you're seeing instead.

the problem is that the posix character classes are not well defined. (which is oxymoronic, considering that posix and IEEE compliance standards are supposed to be well-defined) and depending on what version of tr you're using you may or may not be able to use them. i believe that nsh tr supports these, but again you're better off specifying the exact control characters that you want to eliminate.

here's a couple of handy links to ascii key code tables:

• 6. Re: Strange Script Output

Using the ascii charts, you can just add ^D (ascii 004) to the tr command:

| tr -d '[:cntrl:]\004'

For what it is worth, the nsh tr in 6.3.2 includes ^D as a character in :cntrl: already.

• 7. Re: Strange Script Output

If you're running at least a 6.3.1 appserver, try adding the

following option to the nexec command:

nexec -n -e uname -s

-n is a new option starting in 6.3.1 which tells the nexec command not

to deal with stdin.

I think what's happening is some of the control characters that the nexec

command sends across to the agent are getting interpreted as stdin by

the agent. The agent then displays them on stdout which gets funneled back

to the client as stdout. It's basically a timing thing which is why it

sporadically happens.

If you know your command is definitely not going to be interactive (as

would be the case with all NSH Script Jobs), try the -n flag and see

if that helps.