3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2008 2:33 PM by Erik Streight

Snapshot of extended object breaking table

Hi all... any advice greatly appreciated... this problem seems to occur regardless of how I set up the snapshot job, whether or not I use component templates, no matter which grammar file I use. In real world this is a script that gets configuration data from agentless devices.

To simplify this scenario I create an extended object (perl... generic grammar) that does nothing but echo back a single line, which I change each time I run a snapshot against it.

print "BASELINE\n"

...and change it to...

print "CHANGED\n"

...and then change it back...

print "BASELINE\n"

...and so on...

Here is what happens:

1. Set output line to BASELINE

2. Take snapshot. (Name=BASELINE, Value=Null)

3. Change output line to CHANGED

6. Take snapshot. (Name=CHANGED, Value=Null)

7. Change output line to BASELINE

8. Take snapshot. (Name=BASELINE, Value1=BASELINE, Value2=BASELINE)

9. Change output line to CHANGED

10. Take snapshot. (Name=CHANGED, Value1=CHANGED, Value2=CHANGED)

11. Change output line to BASELINE

12. Take snapshot. (Name=BASELINE, Value1=BASELINE, Value2=BASELINE, Value3=BASELINE, Value4=BASELINE)

13. Etc...

Notice that value columns are automatically added to the table every time the change is reverted back to original. This is bad.

I just figured out that this only happens when I change the configuration item back and forth as illustrated above. if I continuously change it to something new, I do not get this effect.The problem is that during the normal course of business this WILL happen.

1. Baseline snapshots performed, nightly audits being run (output line = BASELINE)

2. Authorized admin changes device configuration and takes snapshot (output line = CHANGED)

3. Audit shows non-compliant and engineer decides to revert configuration, then takes snapshot (output line = BASELINE)

4. Columns get added to the result table, rendering further audits impossible.

Any thoughts???