7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2009 5:35 PM by Bill Robinson

Can I use gentoo to provision Windows VMs

Hello,

I am a lot more familiar with Linux and instead of using winpe and all of its associated problems I want to find out if I can use gentoo and load all windows installation on the target server and then start the OS loader? I tried to find docs but I wasn't successful. Please let me know yoour opinon.

Sten

• 1. Re: Can I use gentoo to provision Windows VMs
          Bill Robinson

You must use WinPE to start a Windows install.

• 2. Re: Can I use gentoo to provision Windows VMs

I have been tryng to use winpe but it fails at bmi step. I have configured MTU, env variable BL_AP, BL_AS. I verified that bmi contacts the application server. All of it is working however when bmi step starts, the process errors out at

BMI: Get next state

BMI: Next state is "switchboot"

BMI: Get next state details

Error in comm read 34

no element found at line 1

error getting command data: switchboot

BMI: Execute next state

After that it fails to the command prompt. I verified that the network is working properly. At the command prompt it can mount windows data store. But I am not able to go beyond this problem.

My env is Linux app server, Linux pxe/tftp server and windows data store. Any thoughts on the problem?

• 3. Re: Can I use gentoo to provision Windows VMs
              Bill Robinson

What version of bladelogic is this, what version of the 'provision-files' did you use and what kind of hardware (server & nic) is this?

• 4. Re: Can I use gentoo to provision Windows VMs

The application server is 7.4.6. I used provisioning files from 7.4.6. The target server is a VM on ESX. When I created winpe.wim, I added vmware nic drivers. However I added win 2008 driver into Winpe image. I couldn't find winpe drivers for Vmxnet.

After winpe boots, I tested that from the command prompt I can ping my appserver, windows data store and also mount data store partition.

Also I updated the MTU on the application server to use 1300. Hope this info helps.

• 5. Re: Can I use gentoo to provision Windows VMs
                  Bill Robinson

You might need to open a support ticket on this. I'm not sure if it's a nic error - after switchboot it should drop to a cmd prompt and reboot the box. though i'm not sure what the comm 34 error is.

after the error, what happens if you just reboot the target system? does it get any further?

also, what phase does this get to in the PM gui - past phase 3 ?

• 6. Re: Can I use gentoo to provision Windows VMs

After the switch boot it does error out and brings me to the prompt. The PM console still shows phase 3 of 16. So there is no movement on the states.

I will try to reboot the box and find out if that takes me forward and I will open the support ticket.

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Can I use gentoo to provision Windows VMs
                      Bill Robinson

if it's only at stage 3 then i'm not sure why it's getting switchboot at all, at that point it's usually waiting for the first connection from bmi to say 'hi, i'm here'. (could be that the PM gui display isn't updated)

usually this would be nic drivers, but if the pxestore directory is mounted (k: or s: or r: - x: is the winpe ram disk) and you can ping the appserver or datastore than that's obviously not it.