11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2012 12:19 PM by Dustin NameToUpdate

Provisioning:  Operating System Installer

Hello, I'm training up on the provisioning process and need some help pulling all of this information together.

I've been following the instructions in the BladeLogic Help documents under "Using Provisioning Manager." Following the instructions, I've successfully got Provisioning Manager, the PXE server, and TFTP all up and running. I've created a System Package for installing Windows Server 2003 and am currently trying to boot it up and get it loaded into the PM. The machine I'm tryin to provision is a VM.

When the blank VM boots up, it finds my PXE server. It gets an IP address. It contacts my TFTP server and then things start to go badly. Right before everything ceases to operate in any meaningful way, I see the following messages during the boot process:

Welcome to BladeLogic Network Boot Install!
      boot:
      Could not find image: gentoo32/gentoo

Reviewing the documentation leads me to believe the problem lies in my lack of a Operating System Installer file. I very well could be wrong with this assumption. However, I'd like to focus on this issue with any replies as explaining the missing gaps on this topic may well help me advance my provisioning project.

During the whole process, I've pointed PXE and TFTP servers. However, nowhere have I pointed to a installation source. I've not pointed to a slipstreamed .iso, or some cool .img file that contains my I386 files. This worries me as I believe I'm booting my server (mostly) right, but have nothing to install on it.

Could someone please help explain this bit to me or point me to some documentation I may have missed? I'm focusing on Windows right now, but plan to provision a Linux machine as soon as I get Windows working right. What are the major differences between the two with regards to this matter? Essentially, any assistance you can provide with this aspect of Provisioning would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Provisioning:  Operating System Installer
          Bill Robinson

you need to create either a gentoo or winpe boot image.

the box boots, pxe kicks off, you get an ip and you get pointed to the tftp server to pull down a boot image.

what boot image you pull down is decided by either a property on the device (mac address) in the PM gui, or by the default boot image settings (PM gui -> Tools | Configurations | Boot Images)

this boots you into an OS from which the actual OS install proceeds (where the system package comes in)

look in the install guide about stocking the data store (section towards the end about provisioning) and in the user guide about creating a boot image (gentoo or winpe)

another thing to check (not releated to your current problem) is in your vm guest you need to hit esc, change the bios settings to boot off the network first. (it boots of the nic the 1st time you boot, but on reboots it'll try to boot off the disk, which won't be ready yet)

• 2. Re: Provisioning:  Operating System Installer

The boot image was, indeed, my issue in the previous posting. I'm running into a new problem now and decided to post it under this thread as it still pertains to getting my provisioning system up and running correctly.

Now that I have my boot image squared away, I'm running into a new problem with the process. It's as though my target machine is trying to provision automatically on boot. Perhaps this is default behavior, but I was hoping that I'd be able to boot the target machine, have it contact the PXE server, get it's boot image, and then just sit there. I was thinking that at that point, I could go into "Devices" in the Provisioning Manager, right-click on the machine, and choose "Provision" to kick the process off.

Instead, what I see is as follows:

I power up my VM target machine. It contacts PXE, does the TFTP thing then I get a "Windows is loading files" screen with the progress bar.

After that, the target machine displays a default Windows background and a command prompt pops up with the following information contained:

X:\Windows\system32\wpeinit
            (wait for a minute or two and then: )
            "X:\windows\system32>"X:\windows\system32\Bladelogic\init.bat

The command completed successfully
            Starting
            No buffer overflowNo active nic found! Exiting...
            X:\windows\system32>
            (end of activity)

I've found a link to a "No active nic found!" posting here and have taken steps to include my VM nic drivers in my drivers.txt file. This has not cleared the above error yet.

Also, related to this issue, I'm creating a step-by-step checklist on the provisioning process based off of the "12 Step" process for provisioning Windows in a PXE environment as outlined on the UsersGuide.PDF on page 680.

In the document, I take note of what is happening at each step, how I know that step was successfully completed, and where I found the information that told me what was happening and where I could check to be sure it happened.

I've got everything mapped out (and am confident that my personal provisioning project is compliant with) up to step 8, "Provisioning Server Checks Database". I'm also at a loss as to how I prove steps 8, 9 and 10 have been accomplished. Is there a log file that I can look at as I did to prove the PXE portions of the process had successfully completed?

Any assistance with either or both of the issues I've posted here are greatly appreciated, as always.

• 3. Re: Provisioning:  Operating System Installer
              Bill Robinson

after you added the drivers you rebuilt and replaced the winpe image? it seems like the drivers didn't get added or they're not the right ones - where'd you pull the nic drivers from ?

can you break out of the init and see if you can run an ipconfig ?

can you run bmi and see what happens? it's in the winpe image somewhere.

after it gets past this, the mac should show up in the prov manager and you can kick off the prov job.

did you get the gentoo part up and working in the same vm?

• 4. Re: Provisioning:  Operating System Installer

after you added the drivers you rebuilt and replaced

the winpe image? it seems like the drivers didn't

get added or they're not the right ones - where'd you

pull the nic drivers from ?

Critical piece of knowledge, right there. I didn't know the drivers were included in the winpe image. I figured the winpe just booted the system and that the drivers, including the I386 folder, were loaded via TFTP. Thank you for the heads up, this will clear up the rest of my current problems, I'm sure. Do you know of a resource that I can read up on that describes the winpe image in greater detail so that I can know what it's doing on the inside?

• 5. Re: Provisioning:  Operating System Installer
                  Bill Robinson

and you still need the drivers in the system package, even if they are in the winpe image...

tftp will only read what's under that /tftproot directory

i'd poke around on microsoft's site for info on pe, maybe msdn. the pe image is basically a boot image, like a linux livecd, though it doesn't have all the apps installed.

• 6. Re: Provisioning:  Operating System Installer

I'm starting to pull all of this together. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. However, I'm still being bugged by part of the WinPE image creation process. Below, I've pasted output from my command window when I tried to create the boot_2_0 folder by using the BladeLogic script, CreateWinPE2_0.bat.

At two points it throws the following troubling line of text:

PEIMG was unable to find driver INF files matching the pattern 'C:\Program'.

Since it does this twice, I'm assuming it is erroring on including my two VMware-specific NIC drivers. I pulled "vmware-nic.inf" and "vmxnet.inf" from a previous Win2k3 VM installation and set up driver locations for them in my datastore. Where is PEIMG told to look for drivers? I assume I can fix this little problem by going this "source" and changing:

"C:\Program Files\foo\biz\bang"

to

"C:\Progra~1\foo\biz\bang"

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools>CreateWinPE2_0.Bat x86 C:\Prov_Traini
                    ng\provisioning\winpe C:\Prov_Training\tmp boot_2_0 Y
                    Copying x86 specific Winpe Image to Temp folder C:\Prov_Training\tmp
                    Mounting x86 Winpe Image to C:\Prov_Training\tmp\mount
                    Copying Bladelogic Tools and BMI from C:\Prov_Training\provisioning\winpe to C:\
                    Prov_Training\tmp\mount\windows\system32
                    Copying Windows AIK PETools and BMI from C:\Prov_Training\provisioning\winpe to
                    C:\Prov_Training\tmp\mount\windows\system32
                    Starting BCD Creation.
                    The operation completed successfully.
                    GUID: The entry {d500a359-c09a-11dd-93cd-000c29262566} was successfully created
                    Checking for driver files.
                    Generating Driver Injection code...
                    Reading Driver info into environment...
                    Preinstallation Environment Image Setup Tool for Windows
                    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PEIMG failed to complete the operation with status code 0x80070002.

PEIMG failed to complete the operation with status code 0x80070003.

PEIMG failed to complete the operation with status code 0x80070002.

PEIMG failed to complete the operation with status code 0x80070003.
                    All done.

Lang | Version | Ins | Name
                    ------+---------------+-----+-----------------------------------------------
                    en-US |6.0.6000.16386 | + | WinPE-WMI-Package
                    |6.0.6000.16386 | + | WinPE-WMI-Package

Installed 2 package(s).

PEIMG completed the operation successfully.

Lang | Version | Ins | Name
                    en-US |6.0.6000.16386 | + | WinPE-Scripting-Package
                    |6.0.6000.16386 | + | WinPE-Scripting-Package

Installed 2 package(s).

PEIMG completed the operation successfully.
                    Committing changes to modified x86 WinPE image.
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Summary of operation:
                    > Bladelogic x86 WinPe image created successfully.
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    TODO:
                    Please copy C:\Prov_Training\tmp\boot_2_0 to tftproot\boot_2_0 of TFTP server.
                    C:\Prov_Training\tmp>

• 7. Re: Provisioning:  Operating System Installer
                      Bill Robinson

put the drivers in a path w/o spaces, that batch file doesn't seem to like spaces.

• 8. Re: Provisioning:  Operating System Installer

Greetings!

I know this is an old thread and what has been posted here has been quite insightful.  I have come across a similar issue when it comes to booting the WinPE image through BladeLogic.

On completing the WinPE image creation through Bladelogic's "Provision Image Creation" I recieve a pop up that is reporting the success of the image creation.  However, upon further investigation, I came across a series of lines stating that:

- Injecting Drivers preinstallation environment image setup tool for windows copyright (c) microsoft corporation. all rights reserved. use /? to display usage information. no windows pe image was specified; specify one with /image=. preinstallation environment image setup tool for windows copyright (c) microsoft corporation. all rights reserved. use /? to display usage information. no windows pe image was specified; specify one with /image=. preinstallation environment image setup tool for windows copyright (c) microsoft corporation. all rights reserved. use /? to display usage information.

It appears that the creation process fails to inject the drivers into the WinPE image.  Would anyone have any ideas on where to begin research? I am using a BL465C G1 blade to test PXE booting.  When the blade boots using the WinPE image that was created, it reaches the wpeinit screen and begins initializing but then fails to load the network drivers.

• 9. Re: Provisioning:  Operating System Installer

It appears that I have corrected that error within the completion notice stating that a WinPE image was not specified and all of that.  It was simply a matter of ensuring that my Driver.txt file was written correctly.  However, even after this success it appears that WinPE is unable to load the network drivers or even find them despite their addition to the WinPE image.  The error I get is:

X:\Windows\system32>Call "X:\windows\system32\Bladelogic\BLNetSetPE.bat"

Setting Network Details...

ERROR: Verify that the required network drivers are present.

Failed to assign one or more network detail(s)

Press any key to continue . . .

• 10. Re: Provisioning:  Operating System Installer
                            Bill Robinson

there's a way to list the drivers installed in winpe - i forget the command but i think you can google it.  you should look for that and see if that shows the drivers you are supposed to have.

• 11. Re: Provisioning:  Operating System Installer

Hey Bill,

Yeah there are a few ways to browse the WinPE image and the drivers were initially not there without being injected manually.  However, when they were injected manually I do not believe they would be picked up automatically upon reboot by the BLNetSet batch file.  Apparently, the fix to the issue was to create a driver.txt file that is pointing to one inf file.  Once I used that driver.txt file within the Bladelogic setup, it successfully injected the driver by itself. I had submitted a ticket on this to see if this was some sort of glitch or if anyone else had experienced that issue before.  That setup apparently doesn't like multiple driver mappings but I could be wrong...