1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 28, 2006 1:23 PM by Ming Wu

Issue with provisioning Dell 1850 (LSI PERC 4e/si SCSI driver)

• I also posted this in the provisioning manager archive *

I'm trying to provision a dell poweredge 1850 with the PERC 4e/Si controller. I've tried both the latest driver as well as the one referenced in the 2850 provisioning document (revision A04). When it starts the windows setup, it was initially complaining about a syntax error on line 1 of the manufacturer specified file. After doing some digging, it appeared to be in the txtsetup.oem file packaged with the driver.

It turns out that there may be some syntax issues in txtsetup.oem provided by the driver -- apparently, if the drive is formatted as fat32, you need to change the text section to use "." instead of "\" at the end. However, after doing that, I am able to bypass the syntax error but then it complains about being unable to find the driver

\$WIN_NT$.~BT\$OEM$\.\MRAID35X.SYS (Error code 18)

I've checked for case sensitivity, so the filename / pathname doesn't appear to be the problem, and I've also verified that

C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\$OEM$\MRAID35X.SYS does exist. I would think that the two paths are equivalent. I've also tried some other tricks that I've seen online, but only end up with syntax errors in the process.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate it. I'm spent hours combing the forums, kb, and other online resources as well as brute force trial and error.

Attached is the section in my txtsetup.oem that appears to be causing the majority of the grief:

PERC32 = "DELL PERC RAID Products for Windows 2003 (x86)", \mraid,\

I changed this to

PERC32 = "DELL PERC RAID Products for Windows 2003 (x86)", mraid, .

If you remove the "." from the end, or try to replace it with empty quotes (""), it throws a syntax error, so this is the only syntax that appears to not throw an error.

Alternatively - is there any way that I can work around this for now?

• 1. Re: Issue with provisioning Dell 1850 (LSI PERC 4e/si SCSI driver)

Issue resolved --

In my particular case, I was using a non-default data store. For standard installations (no third-party drivers), I had no problems whatsoever. However, when I tried to do a third-party driver installation, it failed due to the missing utilities (i.e. xcopy) in the root level of my data store.

If you use a non-standard datastore (not the installed /pxestore), make sure you copy all of the files from /pxestore to your new datastore