3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2005 6:33 AM by Frank Guest

Post install batch jobs process

Hello All,

Fresh server out of the box.

Provisioning manager acknowledges new device.

You select to provision with new package which also includes a post install batch job(PIBJ).

In order for the PIBJ to function correctly it needs to be appointed a server or group to install to or else it will fail. – correct ?

By default you will not be able to see the server to address as its not been entered into RBAC so you’re stuck at this point. However I’ve since noticed that once the provisioning process kicks off at around step 3 or 4 a command is issued which adds your server into RBAC using is MAC address as the device name. At this point you would be able to add the server to a resource profile and thus update the PIBJ so it works after the OS provision has completed.

In the interests of automation is there an option somewhere which removes this manual process? I can only see the PIBJ facility working smoothly with current systems which are being rebuilt (which are already in RBAC/resource groups).

Comments appreciated

• 1. Re: Post install batch jobs process

Frank, when you create a batch job, you have the option to use the the targets from individual jobs or to use the same targets for all jobs. For the "PIBJ", you want to use the same targets for all jobs. When a post-install batch job is initiated the application server sets the provisioned server as the target for all jobs.

The reason we put a server in a resource profile is to assign the resource profile to a rights profile, and that to a role, and then to push ACLs. The provisioning process creates an entry in the users file for the PM role and user. Therefore, the post install batch job will not fail.

• 2. Re: Post install batch jobs process

To be more specific, when a server has finished being provisioned it calls back to the application server to tell it that the OS is installed. At this point, the application server changes the name of the server from the MAC address to the name given in the System Package and adds that server to the role who kicked off the provisioning. It then checks to see if there had been a batch job associated with the System Package. If so, it kicks off the batch job against the newly provisioned server. It does not matter if other servers are currently associated with the batch job. When it is executed as part of a provisioning process the target server for that particular job run is set to the newly provisioned server.

• 3. Re: Post install batch jobs process

Hi guys,

thanks for the feedback.

I've actually found that selecting the option in the attached image sorted my problem so batch jobs were executed successfully against new platforms.