5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2005 3:30 PM by James Hollinger

USAA: Question re: Multiple PM's point to single AppServer/File Store

Does anyone know if it's possible (and supported) to have 2 different Provisioning Managers pointing at a single Application Server/File Store? USAA has put some pretty strict standards in place regarding Production and Test environments. One restriction that has been proposed is to not allow "helper" addresses between the networks which would require them to have 2 different PM's but they would both point at a single AppServer/File Store.

Thanks,

Greg

• 1. Re: USAA: Question re: Multiple PM's point to single AppServer/File Store

If, by Provisioning Manager, you mean the Java GUI desktop client, then definitely. If you mean a different PXE server, then that gets a lot trickier. Could you explain further? Thanks.

• 2. Re: USAA: Question re: Multiple PM's point to single AppServer/File Store

Brad,

Thanks for the response. I should have been more specific. They meant to say the "PXE Server, TFTP Server, HTTP, File Server, the whole thing used for baremetal - sharing one appserver."

• 3. Re: USAA: Question re: Multiple PM's point to single AppServer/File Store

Hi Greg,

I have been told that this is definitely possible, and supported, in 6.2.

This is a major requirement for Capgemini, since they have multiple clients and will require a PXE server within each client LAN.

I'm not sure exactly how it's done, although I know you can define the data store when deploying a system package. The default data store is set within the PM property dictionary.

Robin

• 4. Re: USAA: Question re: Multiple PM's point to single AppServer/File Store

I spoke with James Hollinger and he said it is possible. The correct terminology is important to understand. PM is made up of the PXE Server, DHCP Server, Application Server and the GUI interface. Each network subnet requires a DHCP and PXE Server (because they use Broadcasts). Multiple PXE servers can talk to a single Application Server with no problem. Since the Application Server uses Unicast on port 9831, as long as it can be seen by the server being provisioned (i.e. through a route if necessary), there should be no problem.

To summarize, DHCP Server points the bare metal server to the PXE server which boots the bare metal server and the PXE software that is now running on the bare metal server contacts the BL Application Server in order to fully provision it.

Once USAA fully understood the terminology that we use, the question really was, "can we install multiple PXE servers pointing at a single Application Server?" ...and the answer to that is yes.

Regards,

Greg

• 5. Re: USAA: Question re: Multiple PM's point to single AppServer/File Store

I just need to correct a few things from the previous post.

1. DHCP servers and PXE servers can each serve multiple subnets. They listen for broadcasts which could have been forwarded from a different subnet than they are currently on. The pxe boot will work as long as the PXE and DHCP servers both receive this broadcast. The DHCP server must have a scope set up for the particular subnet from which the request was made.

2. The DHCP server does not point the bare metal server to the PXE server. The PXE server listens for the initial DHCP broadcast from the bare metal server and responds to it itself.

3. The PXE server does not communicate with the Application server at all. The bare metal servers communicate directly with the Application server. They receive the IP Address and port of the Application server from 2 scope options (bl-server and bl-port) set in the scope of the DHCP server.

To summarize in relation to the original question, yes it is possible to have multiple DHCP scopes with the bl-server option set to the same Application server. This will work as long as all of the bare metal servers are able to route to the same Application server. You will most likely need to provide the router scope option in the DHCP scope (option 3) to provide a default gateway for the bare metal server.