3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2009 6:11 PM by Bill Robinson

Using a parameter in custom commands

I am trying to develop a custom command to review a log file while a process is running on a Windows server. I'd like to use a custom command that would look like this (in theory):

tail -f //%H/??TARGET.SYSTEMROOT??/svcpack.log

The "%H" macro resolves properly, but it seems to be choking on the parameter:

tail: //MY_SERVER/??TARGET.SYSTEMROOT??/svcpack.log: Invalid argument

Is there any way to pipe that kind of parameter into the custom command? I've also tried %SYSTEMROOT% and $SYSTEMROOT, but neither of those works either (and they would also not resolve to the proper NSH format of /C/WINNT, I'm guessing).

• 1. Re: Using a parameter in custom commands
          Bill Robinson

From what I've found you can't reference properties from a custom command.

you could create a generic tail command that works on files and uses some of the other '%' operators like %p, etc...

• 2. Re: Using a parameter in custom commands

The docs tell me about %h, which I understand, and %f and %p which I am unclear on. Is there a more thorough reference somewhere?

• 3. Re: Using a parameter in custom commands
              Bill Robinson

%h The names of selected servers on which the command should run.

%p The full path to the selected files or directories on which the command should run. This path does not include the server name. For example, a path might read /c/winnt rather than //host1/c/winnt.

%f Selected files or directories on which the command should run, excluding the path to those files or directories. For example, winnt rather than /c/winnt.

so %p is the path to the file or directory w/o the server... %f is basically just the file or directory name... in your case you want to make something like:

tail -f //%h%p

I'm not sure what %f would be used for - maybe if i needed to pass a file name to a command like 'ps -ef | grep %f' or something.