10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2009 11:36 AM by Mike Rizzo

Installing CIS Tempates

I'm trying to install Templates from CIS.

I have downloaded the ke-7.4.5.C1 from CIS and unzipped it.

I have run the blcontent.zip file and moved it to the correct directory.

Through the NSH shell I run the load-cis-compliance-templates.nsh script.

Whether I choose All Templates for just one OS (such as Win2k3) from the menu, I never get a completion message that the script has finished.

This is the output from the NSH shell when the script is executed.

Appserver Directory where the extended objects will be stored.

Note that the default directory is (nsh-style:<install-dir>/extended_objects):

Extended Objects will be copied to /C/Program Files/BladeLogic/OM/share/sensors/

extended_objects

Starting import of cis-win03...

Below is the output from the content-install log.

002/08-09:20:08 Arguments:

02/08-09:20:08 Finished parsing arguments.

02/08-09:20:11 loading cis-win03 template

02/08-09:20:11 Arguments:

02/08-09:20:11 Finished parsing arguments.

02/08-09:20:12 Operating System is WindowsNT

02/08-09:20:12 Checking //@/C/WINDOWS/rsc/HOME

02/08-09:20:12 NSH_HOME: //@/C/WINDOWS/rsc/HOME

02/08-09:20:12 APPSERVER_DIR: //@/C/BladeLogic/OM

02/08-09:20:12 Found APPSERVER_DIR: //@/C/BladeLogic/OM

02/08-09:20:12 Found br and share in //@/C/BladeLogic/OM

02/08-09:20:12 Found blappserv, we found an appserver.

02/08-09:20:13 found basedir: ./cis-compliance-content

02/08-09:20:22 Extended Objects will be copied to /C/Program Files/BladeLogic/OM/share/sensors/extended_objects

02/08-09:20:23 Copying adapters to /C/Program Files/BladeLogic/OM/share/sensors/extended_objects on local appserver

02/08-09:20:23 Extended Object directory is: /C/Program Files/BladeLogic/OM/share/sensors/extended_objects

02/08-09:31:14 Arguments: --help

02/08-10:41:25 Arguments:

02/08-10:41:25 Finished parsing arguments.

02/08-10:41:41 loading cis-win2k template

02/08-10:41:41 Arguments:

02/08-10:41:41 Finished parsing arguments.

02/08-10:41:42 Operating System is WindowsNT

02/08-10:41:42 Checking //@/C/WINDOWS/rsc/HOME

02/08-10:41:42 NSH_HOME: //@/C/WINDOWS/rsc/HOME

02/08-10:41:42 APPSERVER_DIR: //@/C/BladeLogic/OM

02/08-10:41:42 Found APPSERVER_DIR: //@/C/BladeLogic/OM

02/08-10:41:42 Found br and share in //@/C/BladeLogic/OM

02/08-10:41:42 Found blappserv, we found an appserver.

02/08-10:41:43 found basedir: ./cis-compliance-content

02/08-10:44:11 Extended Objects will be copied to /C/Program Files/BladeLogic/OM/share/sensors/extended_objects

02/08-10:44:11 Copying adapters to /C/Program Files/BladeLogic/OM/share/sensors/extended_objects on local appserver

02/08-10:44:12 Extended Object directory is: /C/Program Files/BladeLogic/OM/share/sensors/extended_objects

Any help would be appreciated in what I might be doing wrong installing the templates.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Installing CIS Tempates
          Bill Robinson

is that the whole output? does it just fail/exit or hang?

• 2. Re: Installing CIS Tempates

That is the entire output from both the NSH prompt and the log from the installation directory. There are no other entries or messages. I locked the machine and left it for 8 hours and that is all that is in there, so it's hanging. One note I did forget to mention (which I apologize for), is the templates were installed at one time (while I was in a Blade Logic class). Nothing on the server side was changed, but I had to start with a clean database. That is when I lost the Templates that were installed. So, this is an attempt to re-install them. Nothing was changed on the server side. Is there something that should be removed on the server side to allow re-installation ?

Thanks Bill !

• 3. Re: Installing CIS Tempates

Bill,

Just as an update, I decided to do a clean install of Blade and I'm still having the same issuing installing the templates. Thanks!

• 4. Re: Installing CIS Tempates
                Bill Robinson

i've yet to see a content install hang like this, throw errors sure, but not hang.. open a support ticket...

• 5. Re: Installing CIS Tempates
                  Wenchi Liao

Can you check the blcli.log for the user that you run the install from? This will be something like %APPDATA%\bladelogic\blcli.log on Windows, ~/.bladelogic/blcli.log everywhere else . Are there messages about looking for a user name?

• 6. Re: Installing CIS Tempates

There is nothing in the log for Feb. But there are entries in there for December when I was in class. I'm beginning to think I might not be following the right procedure for installing these. Would you mind laying out the procedure for installing the templates. What I have been doing is from the Network Shell prompt running the command .\load-cis-compliance-templates.nsh and then selecting which OS to be installed. Is this the proper procedure. There is not much doc'd in the manuals or on line. Thanks!

• 7. Re: Installing CIS Tempates

I have realized one issue on the App Server in regards to domain membership that did not exist when the first installation happened. I'm making some changes and will re-post. I did find the log mentioned above and might have found the issue, which I will let you know. Thanks!

• 8. Re: Installing CIS Tempates

I think I have resolved the issues. I am trying to re-download the cis-compliance-templates-7[1].4.5.c1.398 zip file that contains the CIS security templates. I thought they were on they were on the support site, but I cannot find them anywhere. Once I download this again, I think my permission issues will be solved. Thanks in advance for your help.

• 9. Re: Installing CIS Tempates

I managed to find the zip file that I needed off of the KB, but after trying to unzip I'm getting asked for password for the grammars directory. Thanks

• 10. Re: Installing CIS Tempates

Windows Extract asks for a password where WinZIP does not unzipping the templates. Issue has been resolved after changing the user roles and permissions after the server was added to a domain. All Templates installing with no issues. Thanks to all for your time and input!