5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2007 3:47 AM by Olivier KARREMAN

What's the purpose of the /usr/lib/rsc/rootroot file?

• 1. Re: rootroot

I found this info in ticket #11199:

Its really old legacy nsh stuff.

It is a way to maintain a list of the servers in your environment for scripting purposes I believe. For example:

JOTOOLE4% more rootroot

JOTOOLE4% ls //

I then edited my rootroot to list more servers:

JOTOOLE4% more rootroot

JOTOOLE4% ls //

JOTOOLE4 snickers suprhas30serv1

So, I think the original intention was that somebody maintains this rootroot file with all the servers you can access and pushes this out regularly to the nsh client machines. You can then use this in conjunction with "ls //" in your scripts to loop through all the hosts.

You would obviously do this with the blcli now though.

• 2. Re: rootroot
            Bill Robinson

that's pretty cool - actually - it would be faster if it was pre-populated in that file then doing a blcli call, especially for a large environment.

• 3. Re: rootroot
              Olivier KARREMAN

The file is held locally where the CM console/NSH resides. You can add entries by doing the following:

cd //
              mkdir +Hostname+

... another cool usage of this feature is the ability to use meta characters in some commands:

ls //*/tmp

• 4. Re: rootroot

Interesting. Have you ever made much use of it other than that? I'd be interested in seeing what other uses there are for it.

• 5. Re: rootroot
                  Olivier KARREMAN

Actually not really, aside from training as I think this is really an eye catcher. Same in pre-sales.