3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2007 10:01 AM by Troy Barger

Asset Number and hostid

Hi all,

I wish add Asset Number (read with a vbs script like the hostid command on unix) to my windows servers.

I wish pass this information to reports and show it in reports.

Does anyone have any idea how do this?

I was able only to create an Extended Object to show Asset number from bios.

• 1. Re: Asset Number and hostid

I think the best way is to create an ASSET_TAG server property, and then set that using an NSH script that uses the BLCLI to set the value of ASSET_TAG. I believe you can get the asset tag in the WMI. Look at the below code which creates a temp VBScript that queries the WMI for a property (I got this from an old client of mine):

echo "Found C:

tmp - ok"

echo "C:

tmp not found - creating..."

mkdir /C/tmp

cd /C/tmp

echo "objname = WScript.Arguments(0)\nprop = WScript.Arguments(1)\nset wmi = GetObject(\"winmgmts:\")\nset objectlist = wmi.ExecQuery(\"SELECT \" & prop & \" FROM \" & objname)\nfor each obj in objectlist\n WScript.Echo(obj.Properties_(prop))\nnext\n" > tmp.vbs

SERVER=`uname -n`

nexec $SERVER cscript //NoLogo tmp.vbs "$WMI_OBJECT" "$WMI_PROPERTY" | while read VALUE

VALUE=`echo $VALUE | tr -d '[:cntrl:]'`

SERVER_KEY=`blcli Server getServerDBKeyByName $SERVER`

echo "Setting $BL_PROPERTY of $SERVER to $VALUE."

blcli Server setPropertyValue $SERVER_KEY $BL_PROPERTY $VALUE

rm /C/tmp/tmp.vbs

All you need to do is figure out where in the WMI the asset tag is located and pass it into the above script.

• 2. Re: Asset Number and hostid

This worked great on most servers, Thanks!

I do have one scenario that I was wondering if you had any ideas on. I have a growing number of virtual machines in the datacenter and the serial number comes up as "VMware-50 0e d7 03 a0 fa 16 d7-fe d5 da 6b 2d 4e c7 46", whic fails to load in to OM with the following error.

I'm assuming it's because there are spaces in the $VALUE. Is there a way to allow this value to pass?

• 3. Re: Asset Number and hostid

Nevermind, it seems it was a s simple as putting the $VALUE on the blcli line in quotes.