I wonder if this has something do do with the OS we are running, but I found that when I added an inital heap size to /br/blappserv (using -Xms), I was able to configure the Total JVM Memory:
$JAVA_HOME/bin/java -Xss2m -Xmx1024M -Xms64M -Djava.io.tmpdir=$BLADELOGIC_HOME/tmp
Now my memory looks like this:
Maximum JVM Memory (B): 1,065,484,288
Total JVM Memory (B): 67,108,864
Free JVM Memory (B): 63,947,088
Used JVM Memory (B): 3,161,776
The -Xmx flag governs the Maximum JVM Memory value (note that your Maximum JVM Memory is 1,065,484,288). Java will not use all of that by default. It will grow the Total JVM Memory as needed up to the Maximum JVM Memory but it will initially start at a "minimum" level. To increase what the minimum level is you use the -Xms flag. When this is set, the initial Total JVM Memory will be set to the new minimum value.