4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2008 1:47 PM by Bill Robinson

File deploy jobs using parameters?

Are there any plans to allow this or is there a reason why it can't be done?

In my example scenario I'm trying to deploy an EXPORTS file to multiple hosts of Windows 2000/2003 which as we know have different windows directory names.

I'm using a BL package at the moment to do this.

Thanks

-Frank

• 1. Re: File deploy jobs using parameters?

What's your reason behind not wanting to use a BLPackage? BLPackages were designed specifically to handle cases like this.

One thing I used to do to handle something like this in the past was to deploy to C:\temp and to include a post-command similar to the following:

cmd /c move \temp\file %WINDIR%\file

I forget the exact syntax.

• 2. Re: File deploy jobs using parameters?

Regardless I don't see why we can't do it. There are features that file deploy provides that you don't have with a BLPackage, specifically around synchronizing. Let's say you only want to manage one directory, and have it automatically push updates to a parameterized path on a regular basis, avoiding having to re-package differences each time.

I suppose using the CLI you could do the above with a BLPackage, but using file deploy it's very easy to set up and manage.

• 3. Re: File deploy jobs using parameters?

Hi,

I'm also trying to do the same sort of thing.

E.g. We have 20 servers that we need to keep a certain file structure the same on, but the individual locations on those 20 servers all have a name that is specific to each server.

i.e.

Server Name :- Webprod01

Directory Name :- C:\Files\web01\Live

Server Name :- Webprod02

Directory Name :- C:\Files\web02\Live

etc...

By having a 'Live' directory on the Configuration Manger server I want to create a File Deploy Job, that using 'Sync Push', keeps the 'Live' folders on the 20 servers the same as the 'Live' folder on the Config Manager Server.

i.e. If I move a file out of the 'Live' folder on the Config Manager Server, I want to run the Sync Push job and have it removed from all the 'Live' folders on the 20 Servers. Similarily, if I add a file to the 'Live' folder on the Config Manager Server, I want it added to the 'Live' folder on the 20 Servers.

I was hoping to assign a Custom Property to these 20 Servers called WEB_FILE_DIR and have this defined on each server.

e.g.

Webprod01 has the Property called WEB_FILE_DIR set to web01

Webprod02 has the Property called WEB_FILE_DIR set to web02

etc....

and then use this in the Destination field to help build the Destination File Path.

Has anyone else worked out a way of doing this?

Looking forward to anyones replies.

Cheers

Steve.

Message was edited by:

Steven Cotterell

• 4. Re: File deploy jobs using parameters?
                Bill Robinson

there's still no parametrization allowed in file deploy jobs afaik.

however, you may be able to write an nsh script job to do this - pass parameters into the nsh script for your directory paths and such, or even just use the blcli to query for parameters and then call 'dsync' which is basically a nsh-ized rsync, based on the paths you work out.