5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2005 7:20 PM by Brad Jacobs

Passing through CM credentials in indirect deployments

I'm working through a prototype for using a remote file server as a secondary source for deploying BLPackages to international locations. Basically, rather than doing an indirect push (i.e. a push with repeaters) from the application server, I'd like to push from the repeater itself, with the BLPackage already existing there. This would involve a few steps:

1. Ensuring that the BLPackage already exists on the repeater (accomplished with some scheduled sync file deploy jobs)

2. Coming up with some NSH script to nexec a Network Shell on the repeater which could in turn copy the BLPackage and nexec the proper BLDeploy command on the agent.

What I'm struggling with right now are the permissions. When we do a normal indirect push, BladeLogic somehow passes the Role:User credentials through to the repeater so that they apply to the end target as though the message had come from the application server itself. Does anybody know how OM accomplishes this and if this functionality can be pulled out and applied to an NSH Script Job?

• 1. Re: Passing through CM credentials in indirect deployments

So, two things there.

I've never tried this, but can't you do exactly what you want with a phased deploy? As in - a deploy in which each phase has it's own schedule? That way, the deploy job could stage to the repeater at a certain time and then deploy to the end server(s) at a different time. Would that be possible?

Also, if you are nexec-ing a command on a remote server from an NSH script job, your BL credentials are carried through - and that nexec spawns with your BL credentials... so will not your BL credentials pass through to the remote agents?

Am I overlooking something?

• 2. Re: Passing through CM credentials in indirect deployments

I believe the phased deploy stages the package all the way to the destination target, not to the repeater. This poses a problem because the scenario in question is to do quick provisioning on top of a base OS. Since the base OS was just provisioned (in this scenario), we cannot pre-stage the package there.

As for the permissions question, the ACLs will by default give us the proper permissions on the repeater. So if the repeater entry for the user running the NSH Script Job is "rw,map=root", then you'll have root permissions on the repeater, but then it'll be root, not your CM user, that is contacting the target. So root would need to be in the users file on the target.

• 3. Re: Passing through CM credentials in indirect deployments

please let us know if you get it figured out. I have received the question many time about a distributed depot and you are almost there if you can get this to work.

In some instances, the prospect would like to accomplish the first step of ensure the package/installable is on the repeater by fed-exing a CD and copying it there because of bandwith issues.

• 4. Re: Passing through CM credentials in indirect deployments

The way we do this with a monitoring script is to have an SRP proxy running, have a bl_srp_agent running, pre-authenticated to the user:role and write out the shared memory ID to a file.

Then at script execution time it sets and exports the BL_SRP_INFO value for the appropriate role based on the contents of the file. The nsh script then proxies all requests (default in /usr/lib/rsc/secure is routed through the SRP proxy)which execute with a valid user:role.

It works for our monitoring system, no reason it shouldn't work for a bldeploy as well.

• 5. Re: Passing through CM credentials in indirect deployments

Option 1)

Install an application server on the repeater and tie it into your primary database. Edit the sqlmap.properties file to execute only scheduled jobs on that remote application server that have a certain job property. Edit the sqlmap.properties file on the primary app server to not execute these scheduled jobs.

Schedule the deploy to the repeater, and then schedule a file deploy to execute on the repeater to deploy to remote agents.

Option 2)

If you want to finish this deploy via a scheduled script, consider the following.

You authenticate in your CM as SpecialRole:SpecialUser. Your script executes and your special credentials map you to a 'noaccess' (or nobody or whatever) user. This 'noaccess' user should be a local user on the repeater that has no login credentials, and maybe even their login shell is /dev/null. This user must exist so that the BL agent can map you to it. Your script calls:

nexec repeater_hostname nsh -c 'cp /path/to/file //remote_host/deploy/path'

The users.local file on the remote_host server must map noaccess to your desired local user (i.e., root), and must include your repeater as 'ro' in the exports file. Mapping to 'noaccess' guarantees that, unless a user accesses your repeater via your special BL login and gets mapped to 'noaccess', then they will never have the capability to login to that repeater as 'noaccess' and launch NSH to gain root access to the remote machine.

Okay, Unix gurus - I'm sure I've missed a pitfall here or are making some assumption that I should not make, so hack away at my solution, please.