1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2005 3:54 AM by Frank Guest

MySQL & OpsMgr 6.3?

Is there a way to upgrade a 6.2.1 MySQL database straight to 6.3?

Just wondered why 6.3 doesn't include MySQL as an installable option now?

• 1. Re: MySQL & OpsMgr 6.3?

the mysql implementation of our product is intended strictly for benchmark purposes. as a result, we've never really provided upgrade scripts to update a mysql db from an older version to newer one. the new 6.3 product isn't built with the intention of using mysql, nor is it provided to customers via our website or ftp site.

• 2. Re: MySQL & OpsMgr 6.3?

Hi Frank,

You will probably find that you can't perform a fresh install of 6.3 until you have completely uninstalled 6.2.3 - including mysql.

I don't believe it is possible to upgrade your existing DB for the reasons explained by Danny, but this is just a small test system isn't it?

You can get mysql from mysql.com.

You will also need the jdbc drivers. Install them after mysql and before OM.

Make sure you build the DB from the scripts contained in 63-external-files.tar before you attempt to install OM.

63-external-files.tar is downloadable from the downloads section under 'DB Scripts and Documentation'. (https://www.bladelogic.com/downloads/pub/6.3/63-external-files.tar)

I'm guessing that your installation is on windows, so you won't encounter the same issue that I had with the jdbc drivers, but let me know if you do have problems.

• 3. Re: MySQL & OpsMgr 6.3?
              Mark Jeffery

Actually Robin, I think the mysql installation on Windows is included in the product, and is very very easy. (unlike on Linux!)

• 4. Re: MySQL & OpsMgr 6.3?

not for 6.3 it isn't. the 6.3 builds on the website don't include it. the only version that does is the 'benchmark' version.

• 5. Re: MySQL & OpsMgr 6.3?

Hi Frank,

I found a vm with OM6.2 using mysql on my laptop.

I uninstalled OM and it left mysql behind.

I ran C:\Program Files\BladeLogic\OM\mysql\bin\mysql.exe and ran "drop database bladelogic;"

The install should now run OK, but I need SP2 first :)

• 6. Re: MySQL & OpsMgr 6.3?

I installed OM 6.3 on windows, choosing not to configure the server at the end.

Then ran C:\Program Files\BladeLogic\OM\br\db_scripts\mysql\setupSchema.bat which created the bladelogic database.

Then ran the post install config wizard, plugged in the details, and got...

Failed to load driver class : com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

Think I'd better get myself down to mysql.com...

• 7. Re: MySQL & OpsMgr 6.3?

Hi Rob,

Thanks for letting me know how you are getting on.

I've downloaded the latest copy of MySQL (ver 5) off the web and gave that a go. Since I wasn't sure how the 6.2.1 release configures up things by default I've had to frig about with the setupschema.bat file. I ran it and it created the database and some schema entries but bombed after that. Is the sql script syntax compatible with all MySQL versions?

*D:\BladeLogic\Operations Manager 6.3\db_scripts\mysql\schema>type create_schema_

mysql.sql | "D:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin\mysql.exe" -hlocalhos

t -uroot -proot bladelogic

ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 2260: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the

manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to us

e near 'release VARCHAR(50),

comments VARCHAR(255),

is_dele' at line 8

The process tried to write to a nonexistent pipe.

D:\BladeLogic\Operations Manager 6.3\db_scripts\mysql\schema>type core_data_mysq

l.sql | "D:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin\mysql.exe" -hlocalhost -u

root -proot bladelogic

ERROR 1146 (42S02) at line 21: Table 'bladelogic.os_type' doesn't exist

The process tried to write to a nonexistent pipe.

D:\BladeLogic\Operations Manager 6.3\db_scripts\mysql\schema>type create_additio

nal_indexes_mysql.sql | "D:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin\mysql.exe

" -hlocalhost -uroot -proot bladelogic

ERROR 1146 (42S02) at line 16: Table 'bladelogic.registry_object_path' doesn't e

The process tried to write to a nonexistent pipe.*

• 8. Re: MySQL & OpsMgr 6.3?

I believe internally they're using a 4.x version (i think 4.1), so those scripts may not be compatible with version 5.0.

• 9. Re: MySQL & OpsMgr 6.3?

Is 5 still beta?

• 10. Re: MySQL & OpsMgr 6.3?

yep, its beta. Just downloaded 4.1 and 4.0 - to see if they work.

• 11. Re: MySQL & OpsMgr 6.3?
                              Mark Jeffery

Or you could just live an easier life, and install SQL Server!

• 12. Re: MySQL & OpsMgr 6.3?

just installed MySQL4.1, ran the provided setupschema.bat and all databases were created fine without error. However, once I've installed OpsMgr and using the configuration wizard I run into the same problem as Robin..... (error message attached)

anyone know whats causing the error message?

hello Mark, SQL Server is too easy - i like the challenge ;)

• 13. Re: MySQL & OpsMgr 6.3?

Did you download the MySQL jdbc driver as well?

You'll need to do the following:

1) Download the mysql-connector-java-3.1.x jdbc driver.

2) Extract the .zip or .tar.gz (depending on which you download).

3) In the extracted directory, you'll find a jar which looks like:

4) Copy this to the br/stdlib directory and rename it to mysql.jar.

• 14. Re: MySQL & OpsMgr 6.3?

Nice one Sean, thats done the trick.

How come this procedure isn't documented anywhere? - Can't find any referrence in the Ops or installation manuals.

1 2 Previous Next