6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2006 11:35 AM by Jude Seth

Deploying multiple instances of a package to one server

We have a few servers (Solaris) that are used for multiple environments e.g. ITE1 ITE2 & ITE3. These servers need to an instance of a particular BL package deployed to separate file systems on the same box.

The filesystem would be a paramater in the Deploy job but this would mean checking/resetting the parameters on the server before every deployment to ensure it was going to the correct filesystem.

Is there any way of setting up multiple instances of the same server but for each environment in CM?

Ian

• 1. Re: Deploying multiple instances of a package to one server

It might be possible if you do the following:

1.) Modify the hosts file on the target machine to include an entry for each instance you want to deploy. For example:

-ITE3

NOTE: You will want to make sure each hostname you create is added to DNS so that it can be added to RBAC.

2.) Add each instance into RBAC as a separate server and associate them with the Role you are going to deploy with.

3.) Add the install property for each server, parameterizing them to their respective directories.

4.) Create a deploy job for each server and load them individually into a batch job that executes sequentially. (You don't want one deploy job against all three since it will think they are three separate servers and 'bump heads' when deployed.)

In theory this should work, but I have not personally tried it. Anyone else have comments?

• 2. Re: Deploying multiple instances of a package to one server

Not sure why you would need the host entries on the targets. And if you want to avoid setting up DNS, you should be able to just add the host entries Greg describes on the application server and do all the other steps he specified. And yes, that should work...

• 3. Re: Deploying multiple instances of a package to one server

Parameters are tied to the server, so unless you want to alias the different instances so that they can each have their own parameters, then the only way to do this is to execute the job three times and change the parameters in between each run. I've actually seen this automated via the BLCLI before and can probably drum up an example if you want. Assuming the blpackage and job are already created, then the script is simply responsible for executing the job and changing the property n number of times.

• 4. Re: Deploying multiple instances of a package to one server

OK, I have followed the steps proposed by Aaron and all looks good. There is one small concern. The server has 3 instances on it IDE1, IDE2 and IDE3. If I look at the server properties IDE1 is fine and returns the following:

FQ_HOST -IDE1

HOST -IDE1

But on the other two I get:

FQ_HOST -IDE1

HOST -IDE2

FQ_HOST -IDE1

HOST -IDE3

As you can see, the HOST is correct but the Fully qualified host is always -IDE1

Is this going to cause any issues and if so how can I correct it?

Ian

• 5. Re: Deploying multiple instances of a package to one server

I don't think this should cause you any problems provided you use the two parameters appropriately.

I have a customer that is using aliases (bogus names) for all their servers that are more meaningful to their NOC staff and maintaining a large hosts file on the app server. As long as the HOST is resolvable from the app server for these aliases, you should be ok.

I'm not sure if there is anything you can do to correct the FQ_HOST, but you could write a quick BLCLI/nsh script to create and set a property called "REAL_FQ_HOST" and parse out the part of the FQ_HOST and set it to that.

• 6. Re: Deploying multiple instances of a package to one server

So from where does FQ_HOST derive it's value?