3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 8:23 AM by Bill Robinson

Booting out of a postinstall script

Hi All,

I was wondering: While we are migrating our old packaging script to a bladelogic jython script is was struggling with the reboots. At this moment we have postinstall scripts that contain multiple reboots. So the script boots itself, sometimes multiple times. Within Bladelogic I can set a script to boot afterwards, but is it possible to boot out of the script?

I have no machine to test boots on at the moment so maybe someone has tried this before?

best regards,

• 1. Re: Booting out of a postinstall script
          Bill Robinson

Can you clarify this a bit - you want your jython script to run some things, reboot the system, wait, run some more things, then reboot, run more, etc ?

typically we've created a batch job that contains jobs to handle this, where the reboot is a separate job - so the batch job contains:

deploy job

reboot job

deploy job

reboot job

script job

script job

reboot job

etc..

• 2. Re: Booting out of a postinstall script

Yeah I'm sorry i've failed to describe it clearly.

I have a BlPackage which contains some data and a preinstall and postinstall script. This is created via a jython packaging script but that doesn't matter.

some of out packages have multiple reboots. They install one part of the software, reboot, then finalize the installation and boot again. I know it's possible in a blpackage when you do it with 2 installscripts en say for each of them to boot after execution. My question was: is it possible to trigger the reboot myself? so imagine that I have the above in one script. Could this work or does the deployment fail when the machine goes down?

I know it's a strange question, but our current environment supports those things and I'd like to know if it's still possible.

• 3. Re: Booting out of a postinstall script
              Bill Robinson

On each object in the blpackage you should see a 'reboot' line (atleast in 7.6, not sure about previous). you can use that option to determine how the reboot will happen for that object - so you may not need anything in your script/package to do the reboot, just set the reboot option.