1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 6:03 AM by Danny Van Ursel

Clearcase Software package into Bladelogic

Abid Khemiss

We would like to package 500GB of clearcase packages into bladelogic.

- Clearcase create a Spb file (sb_LDD_0016.1.0.1.0.spb)

The versioning features are not available in the zipfile but it works like

this:

- Within clearcase you can label files with a version

- You can specify a view that shows only the files with that version label

- All the files visible are the ones in that version

Any idea are welcome?

Abid

• 1. Re: Clearcase Software package into Bladelogic
          Bill Robinson

If you can pull the version information from clearcase during upload to bladelogic you can set property values on each depot item for the version and anything else like that.

then you can create smart groups to filter by property values

• 2. Re: Clearcase Software package into Bladelogic
            Abid Khemiss

Thanks,

Do you have a script which does already something similar?

Thanks in advance.

Abid

• 3. Re: Clearcase Software package into Bladelogic
              Bill Robinson

not specifically for clearcase, but you'll be using the blcli commands the create the package, and set the property values, examples of which are in the blcli docs. you need to workout all the checkout commands for clearcase and what kind of package you want to create (blpackage, custom software, etc)

• 4. Re: Clearcase Software package into Bladelogic

Thanx for the info but I'm not quite with you on this one.

Do you mean we'll have to:

- import every separate file into the depot

- add the version info to the params on the file

- create a smartgroup that contains the files

- build a package out of the smartgroup ( what command can be used for this?)

I was rather thinking in another direction:

- first label all clearcase files with a specific tag for that software/version

- launch a script that:

=> creates a view on the tag we've labeled (can be launched with nexec)

=> copies all files in the view to a temporary location on the filesys (c:\images\ to /C. I've tried this in the GUI and all the underlying paths are updated as well.

I've checked the blcli commands, but I wasn't able to find one that suits my needs. I'm not fond of exporting, changing and importing every package that is built so that'll be my last resort.

Any ideas?

• 5. Re: Clearcase Software package into Bladelogic
                  Bill Robinson

I meant something like the 2nd example.

You can zip up everything under c:\images and use a 'custom software' package type to do the deploy, then just unzip your archive in the root directory as the install command of the custom software.

• 6. Re: Clearcase Software package into Bladelogic

Hi,

I like the idea of the zipfile but the problem with that is that I'm not able to apply acl's to the files. We could do this in a post script but we would like to manage all that in Bladelogic since we want to get rid of the frameworks that were written for our current solution.

• 7. Re: Clearcase Software package into Bladelogic
                      Bill Robinson

You can use a BLPackage, but you'll need to create a component template first. the template can contain a parameterized path for your files so that it will pickup the right path initially, then use a different path when it deploys.

• 8. Re: Clearcase Software package into Bladelogic

I'll try and play with that later. Just one question that i'm not able to solve myself.

I'm packaging out of a Unix server with a clearcase client installed. Exporting data out of clearcase works fine. But I'm not able to create a package out of my template.

I'm building the template with :

=> Template createEmptyTemplate r_1.0.10 2004002 true

=> Template addDirectoryPart DBKey:STemplateKey:2000066-1 /tmp/uxpkg true true true true true true false false false false false false false:

=> Component createComponent r_1.0.10 DBKey:STemplateKey:2000066-2 2003000

Every time i want to build a package out of the component I get following error:

=>BlPackage createPackageFromComponent 1.0.10 2004005 false false false true false DBKey:SComponentKey:2000084-1

Asset "/tmp/uxpkg" of type Directory is not packageable.

I've noticed that in the snapshot/audit section my directory part has multiple NTFS options turned on (which obviously do not exist on unix). When I disable these packaging works fine. Does anybody have an idea how to turn these of while packaging from the CLI? I do not seem to find a command or argument that could help me in the blcli documentation.

edit

It seems that this doesn't occur when creating a component template with the gui.

/edit

Message was edited by:

Danny Van Ursel

• 9. Re: Clearcase Software package into Bladelogic

this part is solved:

I was creating the component like this:

=> Template addDirectoryPart DBKey:STemplateKey:2000066-1 /tmp/uxpkg true true true true true true false false false false false false false:

The fifth argument apparently causes this behaviour:

bIncludeFileAcls boolean True to collect file ACLs, false otherwise.

So this works fine:

=> Template addDirectoryPart DBKey:STemplateKey:2000066-1 /tmp/uxpkg true true false true true true false false false false false false false:

• 10. Re: Clearcase Software package into Bladelogic

Hi,

Back to the installation path:

I've did a test that seems to work but I wonder if I'm walking on the edge here.

=> I've created a parameter on my component template that contains the path I'm packaging (in my example /ontw/img/package)

=> After that I've packaged the component

=> When I install the package it is installed in the root since the parameter is not known on the package.

What's your opinion on this?

• 11. Re: Clearcase Software package into Bladelogic
                              Bill Robinson

does this method gather the unix acls on the files? and are the source and target both unix? (in one of the above posts it looks like you gave a windows path)...

• 12. Re: Clearcase Software package into Bladelogic
                                Bill Robinson

that should be ok. otherwise i would make your property value in the component like "/ontw/img/" and make the property value in the blpackage to be "/" so you know it's set properly and are not depending on it being blank in the package.

• 13. Re: Clearcase Software package into Bladelogic

Well, I'm still figuring that out.

I think packaging of unix packages on unix will be no problem. I'll have to check if there's a way to build windows packages on a unix server. For every file in a clearcase package there is a file which describes the permissions of the file, maybe I should try to add the permissions afterwards.

• 14. Re: Clearcase Software package into Bladelogic
                                    Bill Robinson

also, if you are trying to package from a windows file system, make sure it's nfts, if it's fat there won't be acls to gather...

1 2 Previous Next