1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 14, 2008 11:21 AM by Bill Robinson

Pre / Post commands using data dictionary

Hi all,

I'm new to Bladelogic so forgive me if my question is stupid!

I'm trying to install an RPM and then run a post command to insert a variable into a user's profile.

Simply put, we have an application user that runs the application and I've defined this in the property dictionary SERVER.CUST_USER. Now all I want to do is create variable in this user's profile based on the property dictionary (because different servers use different usernames) so I run a post command like:

echo "export SOMEVAR=SOMETHING" > ~??TARGET.CUST_USER??/.profile but I receive an warning message:

~??TARGET.CUST_USER??/.profile no such file or directory

So it looks to me that the property dictionary tag is not being resolved. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to use a BLpackage to do this instead of just a post command? I'm just trying to keep this as simple as possible.

Kind regards,

• 1. Re: Pre / Post commands using data dictionary
          Bill Robinson

I do not believe you can included property references like you want to in a software object (the RPM).

create a blpackage, and add the RPM to the BLPackage.

in an external command in the blpackage write in something like:

echo "BLAH BLAH" > ??TARGET.CUST_USER??

though, if you do this in the deploy job, as a 'post install' command in the job, i think TARGET is available. where were you trying to put your post command - in the RPM object or the Job ?