I was able to work around this issue by downloading a runas utility that allows password to be passed as part of the commandline. It's not ideal and there is additional sensitivity around password management, but it is a working solution for now:
Be sure to include the cpau.exe utility on a specified path, or as part of the deployment package
cpau.exe -u username -p password -lwp -wait -ex "command"
the -lwp (with local profile) switch is required
cpau is available at: http://www.joeware.net/win/free/tools/cpau.htm
Other utilities that may be a possibility include lsrunas or sanur
I used the sysinternals psexec utility (part of the pstools suite).
First of all, download SQL 2005. In this case, I downloaded SQLEXPR.EXE into a directory.
Next download pstools http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/PsTools.mspx, and extract them into the same directory.
You should have SQLEXPR.EXE and PSEXEC.EXE in the same directory.
Add that directory as Windows custom software.
The install string is:
"??SOURCE??\psexec" /accepteula -w "%CD%\??SOURCE??" -s -i cmd /c start/wait SQLEXPR.EXE /qn INSTANCENAME=MJ ADDLOCAL=ALL PIDKEY=abcdef SAPWD=password SQLACCOUNT=Administrator SQLPASSWORD=password AGTACCOUNT=Administrator AGTPASSWORD=password SQLBROWSERACCOUNT=Administrator SQLBROWSERPASSWORD=password
The uninstall string is:
"??SOURCE??\psexec" /accepteula -w "%CD%\??SOURCE??" -s -i cmd /c start/wait SQLEXPR.EXE /qn INSTANCENAME=MJ REMOVE=ALL
It seems to work without requiring passwords!
Hello I would really like to know how you got this to run..I'm currently having a lot of problems automating the softwate installation on a target Windows 2003 server. I think i've tried all the possible commands possible using the tool psexec. Buth the command executes perfectly when you run it manuualy on the server, but when in the context of the rscdagent it seems it does not want to execute the setup. I've tried using differnt combination of setup types.
I've started with Windows Custom Software and now at the oint of using a BLpackage which copies the source to the local drive and then launches the setup program (both types are not working) but for now do not understand where I'm going wrong. When I look in the log file (transactions dir) , the log is at stand still when launching the command but not because there is a problem with the command setup (i know because launching it manually it works) it's because the bladelogicrscd launches the process psexec and cmd but the setup.exe process is not turning on the machine.
If you are using 8.0, then you should really use automation principals for this. It makes it much simpler to install SQL 2005 and removes the need to use any runas or psexec workarounds.