1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 10:29 AM by Adam Bowen

BL inventory report: customize

I am new here.We are using BL v. 7.4.

Is there some easy way to customize an inventory server report?

I'd like to include some items like CPU & Memory parameters, Chassis Serial Numbers, S.Pack and something like this.

I heard it can be manually modified some server properties, but have no idea how...

Also, if manually amend/add some items - how automate it?

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: BL inventory report: customize
          Bill Robinson

Are you using BSARA or the 'old' reports?

• 2. Re: BL inventory report: customize

I think old way via run some combination by BLConfiguration Manager: e.g. os_config.nsh

We are looking to use BSARA too, is it better/easy?

• 3. Re: BL inventory report: customize
              Bill Robinson

It's alot easier in BSARA.

In the old reports, adding server properties is pretty easy.  The reports documentation should describe how to modify the PropertiesDataDescription.xml file.  Then you will see your additional properties in the reports web interface, in the 'ad hoc' reports area.

If you want to add other information, something that's not in the os_config gather, you need to modify that file and then modify the PDD xml.  There are some examples of doing that here: https://www.bladelogic.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=2767&tstart=50

• 4. Re: BL inventory report: customize

Thank you!

So, if I would need also something like Service Pack, its Level, or Patch Bundle can I do it in same way via properties?

In terms of some automatic update an inventory report by any changes (e.g. Memory Upgrade, CPU adding, etc.) what is the best practic to do that?

Also some question like this:

If I run a canned report for server details on packages, it might give me over 30 pages of packages installed on the system.

How can I find out via reporting whether a package is installed and/or whether it is active?

• 5. Re: BL inventory report: customize
                  Bill Robinson

you have a couple options for info that is not gathered by bladelogic.

1 - write a nsh script that pulls your data, and assigns the values to server properties.  include those properties in reports w/ the pdd xml change.run the nsh script everyday.

2 - modify the os_config.nsh script to pull in the desired data, modify the pdd xml accordingly.

if you want to have the data updated, you need to schedule the data collection to run on some interval and you need to schedule the reports population to run after the collection, on some interval.

for the packages, you can filter some of the results in the reports using some of the filter conditions - eg only servers w/ this package.  i don't know what you mean by 'active'.

• 6. Re: BL inventory report: customize

Thank you very much! You are starred guru!

So once we will move on BSARA, you did mention it will be much easy? right? Anything we have now, plus all your suggestions will be applicable into BSARA or it will be a different way?

I heard BSARA is requesred special thing to be done befor... is it true? Do we need uninstall current report system?

Thanks a lot!

• 7. Re: BL inventory report: customize
                      Bill Robinson

in bsara, adding the properties you want should be much easier, no files to edit.  also, instead of modifying the os_config.nsh you should be able to just take a snapshot of the data, or at the worst, write an extended object and take a snapshot of that.

bsara is a new product from the 'old' reports system.  they should be able to co-exist on a 7.4.x install.  however once you upgrade to 7.6, bsara is the only reporting option.

bsara has different database and hardware requirements from the current report solution.

• 8. Re: BL inventory report: customize

Thank you so much!

A quick question about the file PDD.xml you have mentioned: do I need to include it into os_config.nsh?

I am not seeing any refference of it within that file. How PDD.xml will be called?

Same question for the PropertiesDataDescription.xml.

Thank you in advance!

• 9. Re: BL inventory report: customize
                          Bill Robinson

sorry - PropertiesDataDescription.xml = pdd xml - it's an abbreviation

the pdd xml file is in <reports install dir>/conf.

That file tells reports how to parse the data being gathered by os_config.nsh.  You don't include it in the os_config.nsh.

• 10. Re: BL inventory report: customize

Oops Thank you! and sorry for the confuse...

Last one: if I will modify the PDD, do I need to modify the os_config.nsh ?

Sorry but server says I have limited access on this:

https://www.bladelogic.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=2767&tstart=50

is it possible to copy some text from there?

Thanks in advance

• 11. Re: BL inventory report: customize
                              Bill Robinson

if you goto bladelogic.com/supportRedirect.jsp you should be able to sign up for an account there.  Though, all of that content should be coming over in the next couple weeks.  it's a really long thread so it will be too hard to paste.

if you add properties into the pdd you don't need to modify the os_config.xml.  If you are adding config data then you need to modify the os_config

are you upgrading to bsara anytime soon?  it may not be worth the effort to do all of this if you are upgrading to bsara soon.

• 12. Re: BL inventory report: customize

Thank you. I have got it!

But still interesting for Solaris: is there some big differencies of how to amend the pdd file? For example: if I need to add

e.g. ApplicationName; version=23.43.5; date_of installation: 2009/09/23; Exp.Date=20101010.

Is it ok like below?:

<ServerData>
                                <DataGroup Id="Server Application Group" sourceDataGroupName="App_User" multivalued="none" DBTableName="value">
                                <Locale language="en" displayName="ApplicationName"/>
                                <DataElement displayNameKey="version" sourceDataElementName="23.43.5" datatype="string"/>

<DataElement displayNameKey="date_of installation" sourceDataElementName="2009/09/23" datatype="date"/>

<DataElement displayNameKey="Exp.Date" sourceDataElementName="20101010" datatype="date"/>

</DataGroup>
                                </ServerData>

We have decided to play firstly with current one and then with new.

BTW: what could be if after run load_warehouse_schema.bat we have got an error: Cannot find the object  rtp_completed_task_log

I see it's not related to our current work with xml, but old one....

• 13. Re: BL inventory report: customize
                                  Bill Robinson

I think you have some things confused.  The pdd needs to contain the structure of the output from os_config, in the section below:

<ServerData>
                                  <DataGroup Id="Server Application Group" sourceDataGroupName="App_User" multivalued="none" DBTableName="value">
                                  <DataElement displayNameKey="version" sourceDataElementName="23.43.5" datatype="string"/>

<DataElement displayNameKey="date_of installation" sourceDataElementName="2009/09/23" datatype="date"/>

<DataElement displayNameKey="Exp.Date" sourceDataElementName="20101010" datatype="date"/>

</DataGroup>
                                  </ServerData>

It looks like in here you are putting the actual data.  The above should not have actual data elements, it should have a description of the format the data exists in.

See if you can get access to the old forums.

1 2 3 Previous Next