5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 4:16 PM by Bill Robinson

Deploy Job Ends Before the Installation is Complete

Dan Chan

Hello,

I am currently running a Deploy Job of a BLPackage and it ends before the installation actually completes.  Upon further investigation, I see that the setup file spawns another process that actually does the installation.  So I'm assuming that as soon as the setup process itself is finished the deploy job assumes that it is finished.

The problem this causes, is that when placing this into a Batch Job the next job starts before the installation is actually complete.

Has anyone run into this before?  If so are there any work arounds to this?

I am currently running a silent install for the Oracle 10gR2 Client.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Deploy Job Ends Before the Installation is Complete
          Bill Robinson

how are you calling the installer?  we've done oracle silent installs many times and i don't think we've run into this problem.

• 2. Re: Deploy Job Ends Before the Installation is Complete
            Dan Chan

I am calling the installer using their documented silent install procedure. 

I first start by recording the installation to obtain a response file setup.exe -record -destinationFile C:\temp\response.rsp.   I then package the response file into a BLPackage and run a command executing setup.exe -responseFile C:\temp\response.rsp -silent -noWait.

The noWait switch closes the console window that it spawns after the installation is complete.

• 3. Re: Deploy Job Ends Before the Installation is Complete
              Bill Robinson

I've always done this as 'custom software' not a blpackage, and the install commands were the same.  though I don't remeber if I had something after the install like you do.

where are you running that command?  as an 'external command' in the blpackage? or somewhere else?

• 4. Re: Deploy Job Ends Before the Installation is Complete
                Dan Chan

I am running this via an external command in the blpackage.

The reason I also opted for the BLpackage is that the files were already located on a mounted network file system and I wanted to point to the directory and run them from there instead of loading all of the data to the file depot.

The reason I have multiple jobs is that I decided to package each of the patches separately.  Two of the patches also run into this same process.

I was thinking about creating a batch job look for the java.exe process that is run as BladeLogicRSCD and just have it loop every 15 seconds until the process could no longer be found, sort of as a placeholder just to keep the deploy job alive.  I'm not sure if there is a better method than this, but I believe that might work.

• 5. Re: Deploy Job Ends Before the Installation is Complete
                  Bill Robinson

You can do a 'mount at staging' network deploy type for the custom software (or msi, rpm etc) objects in the cm.  this would actually run the nfs mount command at the run time of the deploy.

you could add a while loop in the external command to wait for the process to exit.