5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 7:04 AM by Bill Robinson

Error occured in reading the boot configuration data(BCD)?

Hi,

I am trying to do provisioning of Win2k3 SE.
      I created Win PE image for the same.
      It generated 3 files:

BCD
      boot.sdi
      WinPE.wim

I copied these files to "tftproot\boot_2_0" folder.

Now when I start the target machine, it gets PXE Server's IP correctly then gives following Error message:

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An Error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data

I also tried by copying these files to tftproot\Boot folder. but still getting same message.

Can anyone help on this. Why I am getting this error and what could be the solution for this.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Error occured in reading the boot configuration data(BCD)?
          Bill Robinson

When you generate the files the boot dir needs to be the final location - so if they go in boot_2_0 you need to use boot_2_0 as the option to pass to the image creation

• 2. Re: Error occured in reading the boot configuration data(BCD)?

Hi Bill,

I have specified the same directory at the time of running the script to generate the files.
            I gave the following command:

"CreateWinPE2_0.bat x86 C:\BL_BMC\provisioning\winpe C:\BL_BMC\tmpboot boot_2_0"

Still it gives error about folder Boot\BCD.

Priti.

• 3. Re: Error occured in reading the boot configuration data(BCD)?
              Bill Robinson

is there anything in the tftp server logs?  maybe turn up the logging there to debug if you don't see anything.

• 4. Re: Error occured in reading the boot configuration data(BCD)?

Hi Bill,

Thanks for all your help.
                I checked logs and found the rootcause of the problem. In "Configuring Images" in Provisioning Manager two images were selected as default in which one was of 64 bit. I removed that option and it started reading BCD.

But now I am stuck with other problem.

It successfully sends DHCPDISCOVER Request and reads DHCPACK Response. After that it gives following message:

BMI : Get next state
                ..............................................................................

then system reboots.

I am creating a new discussion for this problem.

Please look into this problem.

PFB the log of tftpserver for the lines showing error.

[05 Oct 2009 12:20:02,187] [Thread-1] [INFO] Requested filename : X86PC/pxelinux/pxelinux.cfg/01-00-e0-4c-36-14-45

[05 Oct 2009 12:20:02,203] [Thread-5] [ERROR] File not found : C:\tftproot\X86PC\pxelinux\pxelinux.cfg\01-00-e0-4c-36-14-45

[05 Oct 2009 12:21:22,296] [Thread-1] [INFO] Requested filename : \Boot\Fonts\wgl4_boot.ttf

[05 Oct 2009 12:21:22,296] [Thread-75] [ERROR] File not found : C:\tftproot\\Boot\Fonts\wgl4_boot.ttf

[05 Oct 2009 12:20:19,312] [Thread-1] [INFO] Requested filename : \hiberfil.sys

[05 Oct 2009 12:20:19,312] [Thread-17] [ERROR] File not found : C:\tftproot\\hiberfil.sys

[05 Oct 2009 12:20:03,390] [Thread-1] [INFO] Requested filename : \boot.ini

[05 Oct 2009 12:20:03,390] [Thread-12] [ERROR] File not found : C:\tftproot\\boot.ini

Thanks,

Priti.

• 5. Re: Error occured in reading the boot configuration data(BCD)?
                  Bill Robinson

I think that's normal - if you don't start a provisioning job, the box will reboot itself after some amount of time.