3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2009 11:59 AM by Adam Bowen

checking dates on virus definition files

Matt Kreger

I want to run a compliance job that checks to ensure virus defs are no more than say, 30 days old.  The built in operators don't seem to get me there.

Thanks,

Matt

• 1. Re: checking dates on virus definition files

Matt,

Can you be a little more decriptive in your post please? Such as what you currently trying to do, the logic of the rule, the results, etc?

• 2. Re: checking dates on virus definition files
            Matt Kreger

I want a compliance rule that checks to make sure the modified date on a file is within the last 30 days.  I can make a rule like this:

(File /C/Program Files/Common Files/McAfee/Engine/avvclean.dat Must Exist AND (Date Modified > "Aug 1, 2009 12:00:00 AM"))

But I would have to continuously modify the rule to keep it valid. 

What I want is something more like this:

(File /C/Program Files/Common Files/McAfee/Engine/avvclean.dat Must Exist AND (Date Modified > "$TODAY-30"))

I don't think I can use regular expressions in the date field, and I don't know if the implementation of regular expressions even supports system variables like $TODAY

I assume some customer somewhere has done something like this, though maybe not through a straight compliance check on a file part.

• 3. Re: checking dates on virus definition files

Yeah, so your best bet would be to write an Extended Object that does that very thing for you and reports a true or false value that you could analyze and check with compliance.

Adam Bowen

BMC Software