6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 10:30 PM by young so

Configuration Manager GUI taking too long to respond

Vinnie Lima

Hi,

Not sure if there is a standard "checklist" go to through when attempting to troubleshoot CM GUI response time issues (specifically, expanding snapshot content browsing).  Below are the items I've looked at so far:

• Desktop (where CM GUI is running) has sufficient resources
        • AppServers (two for HA) are not overtaxed on CPU or Memory

Thanks for any input.

Vinnie

• 1. Re: Configuration Manager GUI taking too long to respond

Vinnie,

If your desktop in a Linux/unix base, you can modify the parameters that are being passed to java in the blclient file to increase the allocated RAM to up to 2GB.

In Windows there is a registry key that does the same, but I cannot seem to locate that on the installation on my notebook. Perhaps someone else reading this forum remembers.

Adam Bowen

• 2. Re: Configuration Manager GUI taking too long to respond

In version 7.5+, this setting is located in "<install path>\OM\br\blclient.cfg" or on UNIX and Linux hosts "<install path>/br/blclient.cfg"

jvm.arg=-Xmx512M

In previous versions, it was in "<install path>\OM\br\blclient.bat" or on UNIX and Linux hosts "<install path>/br/blclient"

java -Xmx256M

• 3. Re: Configuration Manager GUI taking too long to respond

In addition to the CPU/RAM of your client and the appserver, you could monitor the network performance of the BL Appserver and CPU/RAM/network of the DB while you are performing the query/browse.

Just as with the client JVM settings, even if the appserver host's RAM is not taxed, it may be using all of the RAM allocated to the JVM.

Also, could you some information about the Snapshot itself, so we can identify the possible areas of concern?  Specifically, what types of objects are included in the snapshot, and how many?  If you have a huge snapshot with thousands of objects, it is entirely reasonable to expect it to take some time to display the results.

• 4. Re: Configuration Manager GUI taking too long to respond
                Vinnie Lima

I've upped the allocated memory to 1024MB, still taking long to respond. I noticed it is very "network chatty" when I am performing this action.  Looking at the AppServer that I am attached to via the CM GUI, CPU/Memory is not a problem (small spike in cpu util, but not maxing out - see attachment).

I've attached the skeleton of the Component being collected (all the "parts") if it helps.  Simply "expanding" the component "Snapshot" tree takes about 10 seconds.

Thanks,

Vinnie

snapshot_tree.GIF

app_server01_cpu.GIF

• 5. Re: Configuration Manager GUI taking too long to respond

Yes, it has to be "network chatty" because it is communicating over the network in order to return the results of your snapshot.  As I mentioned above, the next item to check would be the I/O on the database, if you have access to it.

Other things you might check:

- take a snapshot just a few of the objects and see how long the results take to display, as a comparison

- link-speed to the database from the application server

- run the snapshot on different hosts and compare whether the results take the same amount of time to display

• 6. Re: Configuration Manager GUI taking too long to respond
                    young so
                    On Windows: from the registry location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BladeLogic\Operations Manager\Application Server.  You're looking for the entry that begins with -Xmx###M where ### is the size of the JVM in megabytes.