13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2013 11:50 AM by yllanos RSS

Control-M 32/64bit

John Gallagher

Wonder if someone might help here...I have checked the documentation but it doesn't say whether Control-M Server is compatiable with the following scenarios ?

Control-M server 6.4 on Win2008 64 bit compatible with control-m agent 6.4 on 32bit windows 2003?

Control-M Server 6.4 on Win2003 32 bit compatible with contro-m agent on win2008 (32 or 64 bit)?
  • 1. Re: Control-M 32/64bit
    John Gallagher
    I did manage to find out that CONTROL-M/Server and Enterprise Manager support only 32 bit MS Windows OS. The hardware underneath the OS needs to be x86 compatible however....
  • 2. Re: Control-M 32/64bit
    Ariel Manka

Hi Manhatten

Quoting BMC:

CONTROL-M/Server for UNIX and Microsoft Windows Version 6.4.01:

http://documents.bmc.com/supportu/documents/17/05/91705/91705.pdf

According to these release notes, CONTROL-M/Server for UNIX and Microsoft Windows Version 6.4.01 supports the following Windows and Oracle versions:

All 32 bit only, Oracle and Sybase are not supported on Windows:

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition

Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition

an existing Microsoft SQL Server 2008. You must install a compatible MSSQL client.

an existing Microsoft SQL Server 2005. You must install a compatible MSSQL client.

a dedicated or BMC-existing PostgreSQL 8.2.4 server and client

and further regarding CTM/EM:

CONTROL-M/Enterprise Manager Version 6.4.01 :

http://documents.bmc.com/supportu/documents/77/38/87738/87738.pdf

According to these release notes, CONTROL-M/Enterprise Manager Version 6.4.01 supports the following Windows and Oracle versions:

Client Components (All 32 Bit only) :

XP Professional

Vista Enterprise Edition

Vista Business Edition

Vista Ultimate Edition

Server Components (All 32 bit only) :

an existing Oracle 10 or Oracle 11 or a dedicated Oracle 10.2.0.3 server. For all supported Oracle database servers, use Oracle client 10.2.0.3.

an existing Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise 12.5(client: 12.5) or 15 (client: 15), using the ISO1 character set

an existing Microsoft SQL Server 2005. You must install a compatible MSSQL client.

a dedicated or BMC-existing PostgreSQL 8.2.4 server and client

Hope it helps,

Ariel

• 3. Re: Control-M 32/64bit
    Robert Stinnett

We have a number of end-user desktops moving to 64-bit OS and we are running into an issue now of where the GUI and Desktop app will install, but fix packs won't install under 64-bit.  BMC is aware of this, and the official statement from them at this time is the end-user apps are only supported on 32-bit OS.

• 4. Re: Control-M 32/64bit
    Phil McIlwraith

I came across the same issue of not being able to install 6.4.01 fix packs.  I have managed to get around it.

Essentially there are 2 problems.

1.  The extraction routine checks the %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% env variable.  If it isn't x86, it doesn't extract the necessary files.

2.  Once extracted, the perl routines that run the update, refer to the conventional registry location for software and not the wow6432node location (that is, it doesn't refer to the the 32 bit application view within the 64 bit registry)

To work around, do the following (I did this for fix pack 6.4.01.200):

1. Extract the contents of the fix pack - you will need to do this on a x86 machine, or if you are using a 64 bit machine, trick the routine by running "set processor_architecture=x86" from the command prompt.

2. In the extracted directories go to the "pm" directory where you will find a file called "RegistryManagement.pm"

Change the following lines:

use constant REG_PATH_ADD_REM_PROG => "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Uninstall\\";
    use constant REG_PATH_CTM_EM => "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\BMC Software\\CONTROL-M\\CONTROL-M/Enterprise Manager\\";

to

use constant REG_PATH_ADD_REM_PROG => "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Wow6432Node\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Uninstall\\";
    use constant REG_PATH_CTM_EM => "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Wow6432Node\\BMC Software\\CONTROL-M\\CONTROL-M/Enterprise Manager\\";

Then run setup.bat from the root of the extracted fix pack.

• 5. Re: Control-M 32/64bit
    Tenzin_Will

I tried your suggestion, but I get an error message that the Control-M/EM was not installed.

• 6. Re: Control-M 32/64bit
    Phil McIlwraith

The path of the enterprise manager regsitry key might be different on your system. Does the following registry location exist on your machine?

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE*\\Wow6432Node*\\BMC Software\\CONTROL-M\\CONTROL-M/Enterprise Manager\\"

If not, you will need to adjust the lines in RegistryManagement.pm to match where your key exists.

• 7. Re: Control-M 32/64bit
    Robert Stinnett

I'm having the same problems.  It appears that BMC has changed their install scripts around.  I spent a good 3 hours trying to force this to work before finally giving up and just submitting a wish request to BMC.  We can temporarily "ignore" this issue, but with more and more of our workstations moving to 64-bit it is only a matter of time before we will need a solution in place.

• 8. Re: Control-M 32/64bit
    Big Will

I installed mine under Windows 2008 server 32-bit and then applied the Fix Pack there.

Next, I installed the base installation under Windows 2008 64-bit server and copied over all of the files from the 32-bit version.

I also modified the registry to show that it is now on FixPack 300.

That seems to work this way. The only thing that isn't working is the Configuration Manager, which I'm not worry about.

I didn't test Reporting Facility, though.

• 9. Re: Control-M 32/64bit
    dgschoc

It's been a couple of months since the last post and I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a way to get the 6.4.01 Fix Pack 4 installed on a 64 bit client yet.  In fiddling with the various install files and the registry, I'm able to get to the point where the installation program seems to detect the installation, but I get a dialog box that says, "Installation not required." In a window in the dialog box it says, "Default (Cannot complete installation as requested. The following instances are not qualified for the installation of the fix pack:)"  No "following instances" are listed though...

Dave

• 10. Re: Control-M 32/64bit
    Robert Stinnett

I have been told that Control-M v7 due out this fall will have 64-bit support for the desktop components; but there is no plans for 6.x to have such support. 

I finally gave up and just resolved to use a 32-bit OS!

Robert

• 11. Control-M 32/64bit
    c.white

Hi Robert,

Hello - although not new to Control-M I am however a recent joiner to this group and looking forward to making a contribution.

Having read your post I assumed that the issue here was with Fix Packs and not the base software, however I've tried to install the 6.4 EM client components on a 64-bit and received an 'Error 1722'. I realise it's been sometime since your post but do you remember having to make changes to registry keys when installing the base software on a 64-bit workstation?

Carlton.

• 12. Control-M 32/64bit
    Tom Geva

Control-M v7.0 is fully supported on Windows 64-Bit.

You can refer to the release notes or to PAC (product availability & compatibility) for additional details…

Regards,

Tom Geva

Product Marketing Manager

Control-M Workload Automation

BMC Software

• 13. Re: Control-M 32/64bit
    yllanos

We have not had any luck trying to install Control-M GUI on Windows 8 64-bit