7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 1:26 AM by Steve Wilson

Increasing number of attachments in SRM 2.2

Bradley Murphy
      Share This:

Hi All

Currently the SRM application only allows for 1 attachment to be added when adding a new Activity log to a Request. We have a requirement to increase this to allow the user to add 4 attachments per activity log. Has anyone attempted to do this, if so do you have any advice.

Otherwise, anyone have any good ideas on how we could easily do this?

I would love to know who came up with the idea to have the limitation of only allowing 1 attachment. Surely it makes more sense to have 5 attachment fields and hide the other 4 thereby allowing each company the ability to set the number of attachments they would like to limit it to?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

• 1. Re: Increasing number of attachments in SRM 2.2
          Carl Wilson

I think you will find that BMC came up with the 1 attachment idea ....

Assuming you are talking about Work Info attachments.

As this is a standalone product, I am guessing to limit the sizing one attachment was decided on.  Plus there is a lot of intermediate workflow/forms used to do the pushing and updating.

It may seem like an easy task to add extra attachment, which in theory is not that difficult as the Attachment Pools are already there, but there is the interface forms, workflow etc to take into consideration.

Easiest way is to add multiple WI entries, but if this is not ideal a lot of logging to figure out the the way it works will be required.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Increasing number of attachments in SRM 2.2
            Bradley Murphy

Hi Carl

Thanks for the answer. Yeah i gathered that there would be alot of workflow that would need to be updated inorder to allow for the functionality of 4 attachments being added to a WorkInfo. I was hoping that there would be a easy answer for this requirement, however the more I look at it it seems that we are going to have to do some customization.

As soon as I have it working on our side then I will update everyone, just in case someone else is looking for a challenge as well.

• 3. Re: Increasing number of attachments in SRM 2.2

Hi All,

Did anyone ever get an answer on this?

I am facing the same issues!!

Matt

• 4. Re: Increasing number of attachments in SRM 2.2
                Bradley Murphy

Hi Matt

Well there is no simple "Just click here" solution for this. I did raise this with BMC themselves and they were going to make a note of it / add it as a enhancement to future releases of SRM.

For now, we have edited some of the OOTB workflow to accomodate our request and we have held back the rollout of SRM 2.2 until a future release.

The design of attachments in SRM 2.2 has been changed from the original solution in ITSM 7.0.03, in that from the Incident Console the system references back to the SRM:Work Info table to display the attachments.

However, our decision to hold back was not based just on the attachments, but also on the fact that the "Add to Cart' functionality cannot be hidden entirely without the modification of some Java code.

• 5. Re: Increasing number of attachments in SRM 2.2

Thanks for the prompt response!

It seems BMC never really thought this through before release!

I think i will have a play around with a few things in order to see what i can do...chances are i will give up and make an excuse of sorts to the users!

• 6. Re: Increasing number of attachments in SRM 2.2
                    Carl Wilson

Hi,

I think you will find that it is by design limitation with the backend and interface forms, not that they did not think it through.

It can be done by customizations, but these are not straight forward.

Cheers

• 7. Re: Increasing number of attachments in SRM 2.2
                      I believe that performance was another consideration.