13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2013 11:50 AM by Neha Deshmukh

Task Notifications are not firing when the assignee field is NULL

Share This:

Hi all,

Ideally when the assignee field is NULL, the notification should be send to Assignee group. But it is not actually happening so.

I would be greatful if some one help me out in this.

Regards,

Vidyamba.J

• 1. Re: Task Notifications are not firing when the assignee field is NULL
          Carl Wilson

Would need a little more information on this.

Are you talking about OOB notifications or a custom notification that has been made using a Filter etc?

• 3. Re: Task Notifications are not firing when the assignee field is NULL

Carl,

"TMS:TAS:NotificationGenerator_899_ModifyNotificationProcessControl" is

the corresponding filter which need to be fired for Task Group

notification[when assignee is NULL]. But one of the criteria in its

Run-if condition was 'TR.Status' = "Assigned", which can never be

satisfied when assignee is NULL. Hence the same is modified as 'Status'

= "Pending" and made it as a OOB filter by changing its name to retain

the changes upon the any future patch/upgrades. And also the earlier

filter was disabled.

I have enabled the log to understand the flow. Let me know if u need the

same for any understandings.

Thanks for the response.

Thanks & Regards,

Vidyamba.J

Application Management Team

Home Retail Group - IS (Homebase)

Mobile   +91 9916139072

Office    +91 80 4199 2134

Fax       +91 80 4199 2333

• 4. Re: Task Notifications are not firing when the assignee field is NULL
              Carl Wilson

This is the qualification for the TMS:TAS:NotificationGenerator_899_ModifyNotificationProcessControl`! Filter OOB:

( 'z1D Notification Message Tag' !=  $NULL$ ) AND ( 'Task ID' !=  $NULL$ ) AND (( 'z1D NT Support Group ID' !=  $NULL$ ) OR ( 'Assigned To' !=  $NULL$ ))

With this Filter, it will fire when called by either the Group Notification or the Individual Notification when the TMS:TAS:NotifyProcess Guide is called.

In the Group Notification case, the 'z1D NT Support Group ID' field gets set by this Filter TMS:TAS:Notification_AssignedToGroup_CallGUIDE as Action 1 (Set Fields) which sets this field to $Assignee Group ID$.

I am not seeing the "TR.Status = Assigned" in the qualification. 

The above is the filter is on my system which has the TMS patch applied to it.  I would try the above qualification and see if this resolves your issues.

• 5. Re: Task Notifications are not firing when the assignee field is NULL

Carl,

We carry the same qualification for the filter TMS:TAS:NotificationGenerator_899_ModifyNotificationProcessControl`! as u have mentioned.

I am sorry to wrongly name the filter in earlier communication. We have changed the filter TMS:TAS:Notification_AssignedToGroup_CallGUIDE qualification as below

( 'DB.Status' != 'TR.Status') AND ( 'Status' = "Pending") AND ( 'StatusReasonSelection' = "Assignment") AND ( 'Assignee Group' != NULL ) AND

( 'Assigned To' = NULL )

When I checked the attached logging , the corresponding filter has fired. In spite of which the notifications are not generating.

Thanks & Regards,

Vidyamba.J

• 6. Re: Task Notifications are not firing when the assignee field is NULL
                  Carl Wilson

If the Filters are firing on the form, then you will need to look at the log files to see what is happening with the Notification Engine forms.

Is there an entry in the NTE:Notifier Log for the Notification?

If not, you need to have a look at what is going wrong through the logs making sure all the values are being pushed through and translated correctly.

The other thing is to check that the Notification is actually enabled in the SYS:Notification form (Notification Message Tag = TMS_TAS_Assigned_Group).

-

-

Here is an excerpt from a White Paper put together by Cindy McCririe from BMC.

Notification Transaction ? Putting it all Together

1.     The NTE:-SYS-NT Process Control form is the center of the Notification Engine. All notifications must be pushed to this form first and depending on what parameters are included, it will determine if it is a group notification or an individual notification. Calling applications pass this information to the NTE:SYS:NT Process Control form. This information includes details such as the application, who the notification should go to, and information about the parent record. The workflow process determines if the notification is for a group or an individual.

2.     An escalation will run every minute to process the pending notification events.

3.     If the notification event is for a group, a transaction record will be created in the NTE:SYS-Group NT Control form. Otherwise, a record will be created in the Individual NT Control form. Individual processing gets the user?s notification preferences, ticket information and message from the Notification Messages catalog. Group processing expands the group list to individuals, and then runs the same individual process as described previously.

4.     The NTE:Notifier sends the notification using the appropriate method (email, pager, or alert). If the notification is through email, NTE:Notifier workflow will create a record in the AR System Email Messages form which will be processed by the BMC Remedy Email Engine.

• 7. Re: Task Notifications are not firing when the assignee field is NULL

Hi,  Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same problem to...I just think it is logical for a mail to be fired to the task group when the task becomes assigned..  Thanks  Matt

• 8. Re: Task Notifications are not firing when the assignee field is NULL

Hi Vidyamba,

The group task notifications fire under the following circumstances:

The Task status needs to be in " Pending" and Status reason "Assigned".

The reason behind this logic is that Task would automatically change the status from Staged to Pending whenever the parent (Work Order) is set to In Progress.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Sunita K

• 9. Re: Task Notifications are not firing when the assignee field is NULL

Hello Carl,

TMS:TAS:Notification_AssignedToGroup_CallGUIDE as Action 1 (Set Fields) which sets this field to $Assignee Group ID$.

You said that notification filter sets field to Assignee Group ID.We are using Assigned Group instead of Assignee Group ID and a result not able to send notification through email action in SLM.I will change this to Assigned Group ID and let you know.

• 10. Re: Task Notifications are not firing when the assignee field is NULL
                          anupam wagh

As suggested by Carl ... first check what notifications you have configured for this(Group/Individual ) and then check the email engine forms to find out whether the Notification is getting created Or not.If it is getting created then we need to find why they are not processed further.

• 11. Re: Task Notifications are not firing when the assignee field is NULL

Email notifications are being fired but they have group name in To field instead of groupID.There it's not able to find entry with group name in Group form as we have groupID in Group form.

These notifications are triggered from SLM  and we have selected assignedgroup field in To field. I even tried with assigned group ID but it has support group ID in it so again stucked.

I think I need to add new field to Change and Incident form to hold this assigned groupID so that I can use it in SLM notification.

Kindly share your suggestion if there is any better way too achiev it

• 12. Re: Task Notifications are not firing when the assignee field is NULL

Hi Carl/Anupam,

I need some clarification,as said earlier I want to send SLM notification for change and incident to assigned group I tried it with assigned group and assigned group ID(it puts support group ID from CTM:Support Group) so that way it's not working.

To achieve this I thought of adding a new field to change and incident form that will hold assigned group ID and then I can select that field in related  email action of of a service target

Before doing it I just checked by manually sending email to a support group with it's group ID(One from Group form) in To field of email,but there it's not able to send an email.

Will SLM module take care of resolving this group ID to it's associated member's emailID like notification engine or we need to do enhancement for this also ?

Kindly suggest me how I can send notification to group from SLM.

Thanks in advance

• 13. Re: Task Notifications are not firing when the assignee field is NULL

Hi Carl,

Could you please give me your pinion on my concern.