1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2018 5:43 AM by Attachment Scanner

Problem Installing/Configuring Java FilterAPI Plug-ins

Joel Dunham

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to Remedy and new to this forum.

I'm having a real problem installing/configuring my test FilterAPI plugin.

I have a very very simple test plugin written - I wanted a way to make sure I knew how to install/configure(and therefore test) the plugin before I started working on the rest of my solution - which essentially just logs a message to say that it was called. I've attached the .java file.

I'm running my test AR System environment in a Windows Server 2003 VM.

When the BMC Remedy AR service comes up, it must be calling my plugin's "init()" method as I can see the log in the arjavaplugin.log file:
      2008-03-17 13:41:43,328 FATAL com.bmc.arsys.pluginsvr.plugins.ARPluginContext (?:?) - <JOEL-FILTER>Static Initialize method invoked for JOEL'S EVENT EXPORT FILTER PLUGIN... (log)

BUT

When I try to build a filter around this plugin it doesn't show up in the "Plug-in Name" drop-down. If I write my filter name in the box and build the filter that way, the filter runs but it doesn't seem to actually cal lmy code.  (I know it runs because my post-filter field assignment seems to work fine and it shows up in the arfilter.log:

/* Mon Mar 17 2008 13:30:44.0150 */     Checking "JOEL:remedy-event" (500)
      >    --> Passed -- perform actions
      >         0: Log
      >         1: Set Fields
      >               Submitter (2) = JOEL

)

So I have no idea what's wrong but I suspect that the Remedy server is not finding my plugin. Maybe not finding the plugin server at all.

I've attached my ar.cfg file and my pluginsvr_cfg.xml files for illustration but to the best of my knowledge I've done everything the way the documentation said to do it.

Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

-Joel

• 1. Re: Problem Installing/Configuring Java FilterAPI Plug-ins

Joel,

Besides the issue of Admin Tool not providing your plug-in name in the GUI, do you see any problems from functionality standpoint?

The filter API plug-in names are not automagically available in Admin Tool filter editing UI. So you must manually enter the filter name in the Filter API action yourself. Main reason for this is actually there is no API method for Admin Tool to query for installed/configured plug-in names (perhaps per type). This is considered a minor or less critical enhancement as of now, especially since the ARDBC plug-in awareness is usually what's needed in Admin Tool GUI (while creating Vendor Forms) & indeed its already available (via get list external form candidates method).
          So in essence, "get a list of configured FilterAPI plug-in names" is a potential enhancement & is currently not supported.

regards
          Appajee

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem Installing/Configuring Java FilterAPI Plug-ins
            Jarl Groneng

I tink you need to give your plugin a name:

private ARPluginInfo pluginInfo = new ARPluginInfo(NAME, this);
            private static final String NAME = "MY.PLUGIN.NAME";

• 3. Re: Problem Installing/Configuring Java FilterAPI Plug-ins
              Joel Dunham

Thanks so much for the reply.

And thank you for the explanation about why the filter name doesn't show up in the filter drop-down list in the GUI.

I still can't get it to work though, even when I manually put the Filter Plug-in name into the box.

• 4. Re: Problem Installing/Configuring Java FilterAPI Plug-ins
                Joel Dunham

jgroneng:

You could totally be right about that - I'll check it out and post back with results.
                Thanks for the advice.

• 5. Re: Problem Installing/Configuring Java FilterAPI Plug-ins
                  Joel Dunham

Unfortunately providing the name in a private ARPluginInfo hasn't affected my results at all. It still seems that Remedy isn't/can't call my plugin's filterAPICall().

Any other ideas would be very greatly appreciated.

I'm still interested in the configuration issues and hope someone will have some info for me after reviewing my original post and the config files I attached.

• 6. Re: Problem Installing/Configuring Java FilterAPI Plug-ins
                    Jarl Groneng

Have you tried the FilterAPISample that comes with the server install?

I have attached the files.

Regards,
                    Jarl

• 7. Re: Problem Installing/Configuring Java FilterAPI Plug-ins
                      Jarl Groneng

You may need to add this to the ar.cfg:
                      Server-Plugin-Alias: <plugin-name> <plugin-name> <server-name>:<port>

Example:
                      Server-Plugin-Alias: SAMPLE.USERLIST SAMPLE.USERLIST pcjag2:9999

You then need to restart your server.

Regards,
                      Jarl

• 8. Re: Problem Installing/Configuring Java FilterAPI Plug-ins
                        Joel Dunham

jarl:

Thanks for the suggestion but it hasn't made any difference. I had tried defining an alias like this a number of times and ways leading up to my original post and never found it to make a difference, and I tried it a few ways again at your recommendation with no luck.

jgroneng wrote:

You may need to add this to the ar.cfg:
                        Server-Plugin-Alias: <plugin-name> <plugin-name> <server-name>:<port>

Example:
                        Server-Plugin-Alias: SAMPLE.USERLIST SAMPLE.USERLIST pcjag2:9999

You then need to restart your server.

Regards,
                        Jarl

• 9. Re: Problem Installing/Configuring Java FilterAPI Plug-ins
                          Joel Dunham

jgroneng wrote:

Have you tried the FilterAPISample that comes with the server install?

I have attached the files.

Regards,
                          Jarl

I have tried calling the sample filterapi plugin and it doesn't seem to be getting called either.

• 10. Re: Problem Installing/Configuring Java FilterAPI Plug-ins

Can you please follow the thread that talked about similar configuration issues?

http://communities.bmc.com/communities/message/68665&#68665

You may also check out the following:

BMCDN Home » Resource Center» Downloads» BMC Atrium & Foundation Technologies» Remedy AR System » Source Samples » Document 2548
                            http://communities.bmc.com/communities/docs/DOC-2548&categoryID=506

BMC Remedy Java Plug-in Server 7.1 - Sample Plug-ins (FilterAPI and ARDBC)    

Hope this helps
                            Appajee

• 11. Re: Problem Installing/Configuring Java FilterAPI Plug-ins
                              Joel Dunham

Thanks for responding again appajee. You are obviously knowledgeable about this system.

I first went through installing the samples included in the .jar at your second link. It seemed like it would be very helpful. I carefully followed the README instructions about how to configure everything for both scenarios that the document covered (CASE.A and CASE.B) . Here's what I noticed that was different from what I had set up before on my own:

- comment out Java Plug-in Server command line in armonitor.cfg and start it manually so you don't have to restart the whole AR system everytime just to play with the plugin server. Good idea.

- in pluginsvr_config.xml ensure regPortMapper=false and port=9999 (I had both of these set up just like it said, but I don't know what "Port Mapper" is so I found it interesting that it was suggesting that the plugin server be set up not to use it.ra Appranetly this is only if you intend to run a C plugin server as well, as the 'simple debug' instructions suggest the opposite?

- Hopefully the JVM remote debug mode coupled with eclipse Remote Java App functionality will be very useful in debugging /IF/ I ever get this stuff working.

Although I went through it in each of CASE.A(x2) and CASE.B I still could not get it to work. Again the plugin server seems to LOAD the plugins fine (I'll attach the log that shows it) but I can't seem to get my filters to call it from the AR system (though I don't get any errors about the plugins not existing, failing, etc).

through the thread at the first link in your comment

• 12. Re: Problem Installing/Configuring Java FilterAPI Plug-ins
                                Joel Dunham

Sorry, I don&#39;t know why my last comment was cut off like that...

I went through the thread at your second link and found it informative but not helpful enough to sort me out.

The relevant part of the discussion seems to be the first section, as the thread author seems to be having similar problems to mine. Appajee makes a great comment about setting the port stuff up correctly, which seems to get the thread author's problems off the ground.

This approach has not improved my situation. It appears that I have all the ar.cfg and pluginsvr_config.xml port stuff done 'by the book'.

Again appajee, your contributions to this thread have been great and I appreciate your time and attention.

Any other assistance or insight anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

• 13. Re: Problem Installing/Configuring Java FilterAPI Plug-ins

I think Jarl&#39;s suggestion should fix your issue. Let me explain explicitly...

- Put some thing like this in your ar.cfg file.
                                  Server-Plugin-Alias: JFAsSeenByARServer JFAsSeenByPluginServer YourPluginServerHostName:9999

- Make sure YourPluginServerHostName and the port number 9999 are valid per your scenario.

- Turn on the filter log as well as Java plug-in server log by tuning the log4j_pluginsvr.xml to say debug level:
                                  <level  value=&quot;debug&quot; />

- Now make sure your Filter that invokes a Set Fields action using FILTERAPI (read from source), and specifies the plug-in name as JFAsSeenByARServer.

- Now make sure your pluginsvr.xml configures your filter as:
                                  <name>JFAsSeenByPluginServer</name>

- Save filter as needed.

- Compile & refresh your JAR files as needed.

- Stop/start your AR Server as well as plug-in server

-- It should make a difference. Did it work? If not, post what you see in your plug-in log, error log, filter log; possibly your filter definition (def), your ar.cfg and pluginsvr_config.xml.

regards
                                  Appajee

PS: JFAsSeenByARServer and JFAsSeenByPluginServer can in fact be the name you chose - JOEL-FILTER - just for clarity I used two different names.

• 14. Re: Problem Installing/Configuring Java FilterAPI Plug-ins
                                    Joel Dunham

Hello again.

I still am not able to see my filterAPICallI() log messages, so I am still assuming that my filter is not calling my plugin correctly. I'll attach all the log and config files you requested so you can have a look (though I think I've described all the relevant bits of information already) (admittedly, you'll likely be able to notice many things that I won't!)

Again, any help with this will be greatly appreciated. I'm really having a hard time trying to figure out what's wrong here.

-Joel

1 2 Previous Next