2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2008 8:01 AM by Peter Tittle

Running TD / FD scans outside the GUI

Brian Soefje
      Share This:

I would like to automate discoveries outside of the GUI. I know about the scheduling feature, but I would like more flexibility.
      An example - a change was pushed to 5 servers that upgraded software. For change validation, I would like to re-discover those 5 machines ASAP and validate the change.

Anyone have any experience on this subject?

Would also be really helpful if I could build the disco domains on the fly.
      My seed file for discovery domains is always changing. It kills me that I have to manually change my domains all the time.

• 1. Re: Running TD / FD scans outside the GUI

Hi,

Automatic Change detection is not supported in TD current release. So you need to schedule the task manually.

Thanks,
          Amit Gupta

• 2. Re: Running TD / FD scans outside the GUI
            Peter Tittle

In TD v1.5, I noticed the ...\etc\discovery_util directory which contains files to assist execution outside of the discovery console.  I don't see any mention of this in the documentation so I am assuming this is unsupported. 

I tried briefly on a test installation and somehow made it so I can no longer run discovery jobs (keeps waiting on query to retrieve discovery info).  I will play around a bit more over the next week or so.  I'll keep you posted.

If you try and figure it out, please let me know.

On the notion of auto-creation of domains, it may be worth a direct query against the TD database (unsupported for sure).  If you can put the query results in your job xml file from the discovery_util directory noted above, you're in good shape.

Pete