7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2020 11:06 AM by Lenny Warren

Can someone tell me why the BMC_Document's Attachment field is hidden in Smart IT?

Lenny Warren
      Share This:

Hello

In the backend side of Smart IT - otherwise known as BMC Mid-Tier - one could generate an Incident Template, bring it back up and attach a CI record to the ticket.  That still works within Smart IT when the template is selected.  HOWEVER, when you select the Document CI to attach to the Template, this works but when the Service Agent goes to view the attached file, it is no where to be found. So what happened to the attachment pool/field and how do I get it to display?

Need this for a customer who is upgrading to 20.08.

Lenny

• 1. Re: Can someone tell me why the BMC_Document's Attachment field is hidden in Smart IT?
          Lenny Warren

Okay.  I figured out a workaround but it is not the ideal way to do this.

When you create the CI Document record, you have to include an Activity Log entry for the attachment to show up for now. 

In the backend of BMC ITSM Mid-Tier, you can still add in the document to the CI but you still need to generate a Work Info entry with the document attached for them to see it.

Still need to know about the actual attachment pool/field but at least I can show the customer a workaround later on today.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can someone tell me why the BMC_Document's Attachment field is hidden in Smart IT?
            Stefan Hall

Lenny, Please open a ticket at BMC support for this, otherwise it won't get better.

Thanks a lot

• 3. Re: Can someone tell me why the BMC_Document's Attachment field is hidden in Smart IT?
              Lenny Warren

Stefan Hall - Thanks.  I have sent an email to Peter Adams first.  Will wait on his response and depending on it will depend on submitting a ticket to BMC.  I may have been added to 20.08, but I only have a 20.02.01 environment set up right now. 

Will update this post on the next action to take.  Thanks again.

Lenny

• 4. Re: Can someone tell me why the BMC_Document's Attachment field is hidden in Smart IT?
                Stefan Hall

Good idea. If you convince Peter, you have the best supporter on your side. In the end he decides anyway and you save the discussion with 1st level support

• 5. Re: Can someone tell me why the BMC_Document's Attachment field is hidden in Smart IT?
                  Lenny Warren

Here is the response of what was provided by Peter Adams:

Ok, so the scenario is that you have a CI of type BMC_Document, and then you attach a file to it, correct?

Yes, that is currently not covered in Smart IT UI. Smart IT uses a type “Other” for CIs of this class, and all of those CIs that are covered by “Other” use a generic Asset CI screen. 
                  So, it doesn’t have specifics like the document attachment fields of BMC_Document.

Doesn’t really have anything to do with use of Incident Template.

We are currently revising our approach to implement the modern ITSM user experience that is today delivered as “Smart IT”. This new UX will be based on the AR System platform again, but retain the modern look & feel of Smart IT.

As we transition to this new Progressive Web App UI for ITSM, we’ll be reviewing the Asset CI screens and check, if we can address some of these functional gaps. But that is not a 20.08 topic. It’ll come by mid 2021 most likely.
                  Even if not, given that the UI is then customizable via DevStudio again, then at least you’ll be able to address this yourself temporarily, until we’ve implemented this fully.

Until this transition has happened, you probably have to define a URL launch action in Smart IT that opens the Asset CII screen in mid-tier, in case access to attachment is needed.

MY THOUGHTS: So when we do see the PWA functionality added to the Asset Views, then we may be able to bring in the attachment field - and the Service Type for Business Services which is also not viewable.

• 6. Re: Can someone tell me why the BMC_Document's Attachment field is hidden in Smart IT?
                    Lenny Warren

Here is what I did discover that I could do to get this to work through a workaround:

You can perform the following steps:

1. Create the CI Document record first in Smart IT.

2. With the CI Document displayed, add an Activity Log with the type or name of the document in the Notes and attach the document that would originally be added to the Attachment field to add it into the Activity Log.

3. Go to BMC ITSM Mid-Tier and create (if not already done) the Incident Template.

4. With the Incident Template opened, click on the Relationship tab and connect the CI Document to the Incident Template.

4. Return to Smart IT and generate an Incident using the new Incident Template.

5. With the Incident displayed, click on the now attached CI Document under the Related section.

6. From here, the agent can now access the document from the Activity Log.

I also am able to attach three documents to a single activity log entry by doing this from the backend process.  However our goal with this customer is to minimize one's access of BMC ITSM and stick primarily to using to the Smart IT and DWP for End Users tools.

• 7. Re: Can someone tell me why the BMC_Document's Attachment field is hidden in Smart IT?
                      Lenny Warren

I forgot that you can add up to three attachments in the Activity Log for Smart IT.  So you do not have to go to the BMC ITSM Mid-Tier to add in three attachments to the AST:Document CI record.  Just do this from Smart IT.