6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2020 7:00 AM by Cris Coffey

Notification business rule on expiration date

Paul Arnone
      Share This:

Has anyone had any success in creating a Track-It business rule (v20.20.2) that can auto-generate a new ticket and/or send a notification email when an asset date field is, for example, 30 days away from the date in the field?  For example, the date represents when maintenance expires and we want to create a ticket in advance and/or notify someone on our IT team so there's visibility on it.  I opened a case with BMC last week and was told this was not possible yet but I figured I'd see if anyone in the Track-It community knew any tricks before I give up on this.

Thanks,

Paul

• 1. Re: Notification business rule on expiration date
          Cris Coffey

This is possible but the amount of system overhead that would be required to keep all the timers running would make it prohibitive. You would need to create a rule that fires on the update of an asset and schedules an action to occur at a later time based on that date. So while possible, it would cause literally hundreds of timers to be running waiting for these dates to get closer at some time in the future.

• 2. Re: Notification business rule on expiration date
            Paul Arnone

Understood, Chris. Thanks.  Is the picture below what you were thinking when an asset gets updated?  Maybe I can also create a custom report that will show assets expiring in a given month and schedule a monthly ticket to remind someone to run the report.

• 3. Re: Notification business rule on expiration date
              Richard Rowe

Hi Paul

To answer your initial question, I have created a business rule in my demo environment that sends a notification when a (for example) a mobile phone contract is due to expire in 30 days. So it certainly is possible.

If it is a large number of contracts, then I certainly concur that a monthly report for that given month is a great idea. You do not need to schedule a monthly tickets (unless you want to capture a process and audit of an action taken), but instead run the report scheduler.

In addition, you can also create a custom view in the Asset Management module for e.g. Maintenance Expiry Date = {THISMONTH} to support the report. Then you can drill into the record in order to update it.

And to add another bit of flavour to the mix. When you've created this view, you've also got the option to add it as a panel to the Dashboard, which is also drill down.

I hope this helps.

Ricky

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Notification business rule on expiration date
                Paul Arnone

Thanks, Ricky!  Yes, this does help.  I don't think I realized that you could schedule reports as we are currently not using this feature for our existing reports.  I also like the tip about the dashboard.

I just realized that my last post did not seem to include my screenshot of the actions schedule so I'm adding it here for reference.

• 5. Re: Notification business rule on expiration date
                  Richard Rowe

Hi Paul

You’re very welcome. Glad it was of use.

Your screenshot looks correct in terms of the scheduling.

Cheers

Ricky

• 6. Re: Notification business rule on expiration date
                    Cris Coffey

Great option there Ricky. I forgot to mention using a dashboard view.

Paul, just to summarize. You can schedule the rules to perform their actions at a later time after they are triggered, use the scheduled report, use a scheduled Ticket to check all these things periodically and the dashboard graph is also a great option.

1 of 1 people found this helpful